04: Guilt

FLASHBACK

A week after her reconciliation dinner with Brena, Lillian was leaving school after her classes ended when her phone started to ring. Her rule was,

If it's blocked or unknown I ain't gonna answer it.

When the numbers she didn't know call her, she puts herself on mute and listens to the voice on the other end. Which she did in this case and she was about to hang up until she heard,

"Hello, is this Lillian? This is Damien." He said, sheepishly.

She immediately came off mute feeling perplexed. How on earth did he get my number? She wondered. Then she remembered there was one person that she knew, who would pull a stunt like this.

Brena.

"Hello, yeah this is she." She began to smile and her cheeks became tinted with a light shade of pink. "My best friend gave you my number didn't she?" She shook her head in disapproval, taking a sip of her strawberry açaí drink from Starbucks.

Rubbing the back of his head, Damien chuckled quietly. "She definitely did but not directly. Shawty wrote it on a note and slipped it in the middle of the tips y'all left.. by the way, thank you but y'all ain't have to."

"I'm not surprised. I'm going to deal with her later. And ummm....you're welcome it was nothing. Your customer service was amazing. Anywho, how are you?" She said, placing her drink into the cup holder.

"I'm doing aigh queen, and yourself?"

"I'm doing good. Thank you." She smiled, connecting her phone to the car, pulling out of the parking lot.

"Aigh, that's wassup. I actually called you to ask if..." He paused when cars started honking loudly in the background causing Lillian to yell.

"Move Asshole, Damn!"

Damien laughed at her rage, snapping Lillian's attention back to the conversation.

"My bad." She sighed. "Some people don't deserve to drive let alone own a car. Moving like a damn snail." She huffed, angrily.

Lillian despised slow drivers. She's one of those drivers where you need to hold on to your dear life if you're riding in the same car as her.

"As if people don't have places to go." She said, rolling her eyes while putting her hair in a bun when she got held by the red light.

"It's all good. You got a lil road rage though but I was gonna ask if you would like to grab lunch with me sometime next week or whenever you're free.. your choice."

Lillian's eyes lit up amusedly with a bobby pin in between her lips. Through gritted teeth, she responded, "yes, I would love to..and you got a problem with road rage?" A smile crept on her face as she waited for him to answer.

She knew what she was doing.

"Aigh, well I'mma text you the info inna few." Just before she hung up, he added, "I like rage in women but not for the road."

Lillian blushed slightly at his statement knowing exactly what he was implying.

"Bet. Catch you later and try not to cuss anyone out."