29.1: 1996

FLASHBACK

"Come on." Linda muttered while her legs shook uncontrollably.

She's in Kevin's bathroom, seated on the toilet. While he's standing outside, with his ears pressed against the door.

"Rita, enough already. That's the fifth one." He shouted angrily, twisting the doorknob.

Linda's stomach tightened in knots as she looked at the fifth home pregnancy test that once again revealed that she's pregnant.

"Oh no." She cried softly, staring at the two straight pink lines that appeared on the small clear screen.

The sound of her sobs echoed in the bathroom as she tossed it over to the pile of the other four used tests. Her regretful tears journeyed to Kevin's ears.

"Open the door damn it!" He banged on the door aggressively.

Linda neglected his decree while her glossy eyes trailed down to her wedding ring. She used her right hand to adjust the ring as her mind drifted to Steven but most importantly, their daughter, Leyla.

"What have I done?" Sweat glistened on her forehead, pushing her hair back.

She was suffering from nausea which was a blend of the guilt she felt and the morning sickness she was undergoing. She brought her knees to her chest, rocking back and forth on the bathroom floor.

Kevin was getting apprehensive so he used both his shoulder and knee to break the lock on the bathroom door. The noise of the door unfazed Linda, who was seated on the cold grey marble-tiled floor.

"I thought you would be happy." He said in a disgruntled tone, standing over her.

Linda hugged her knees tighter against her chest with her head facing downward while her hands quivered. With bloodshot eyes, Linda's face fell into a frown while lifting her head up, now glaring at Kevin.

"I cheated on my husband and now I'm four weeks pregnant for another man and you expect me to be happy?" She spat, angrily.

Kevin reduced his height to meet her face to face. Using his finger to stroke her face softly as the tears fell heavily. "We can start our own family." He tucked her hair behind her ear.

"You know I can take care of you and," His hands wandered to her soon to be noticeable belly bump.

"Our baby." He lowered his head, puckered his lips, and planted a kiss on her stomach with his eyes closed.

"I don't know why you're still with him." He rubbed it slowly with a mean mug smeared on his face.

Linda scooted away from him with fear glued around the rims of her brown eyes. "This was not supposed to happen. I told you to leave me alone." She said standing up to her feet.

"Il Moroso," He wrapped his hands around her waist. "It takes two people to make a baby."

He chortled delightfully. "If I remember clearly, you didn't seem to think this was wrong when you were screaming my na-"

Kevin's statement came to a halt when he felt a harsh sting on the right side of his face. As a reflex to his disrespectful remark, Linda slapped him.