part 66: nature's microwave

Hours upon hours passed as you continuously threw your gaze around, sniffing at the air and flinching at the slightest of sounds that the forest made. The air was so heavy, you find yourself breathing harder with each moment that passed.

You felt as if the island was watching you.

You felt a chill sweep through your body just staring at the darken jungle that practically loomed over you. Repressing a small groan of discomfort, you find yourself pulling steven and sadie closer to your body.

Looking back at Sadie, she seemed a lot more smaller and vulnerable now then she looked when she was awake. You watched as she shifted her weight and rested her cheek against your midarm's bicep, humming softly in contentment. You felt a subtle warmth flare in your chest and face at this simple action. That's odd... you knew she was much older than steven, therefore more experienced with hardships, yet you still felt a foreign need to keep her protected. She was around the same size as him after all...

Speaking of steven, you heard him murmur faintly in your sleep, prompting you to shift your attention to his small body in your forearms, watching as he nestled himself deeper into your chest. Instinctively, you cradled him closer to your, smiling as he murmured again, but more relaxed. So precious. Even so, you couldn't help but frown at him. Even though he's well-meaning, he didn't think this all the way through. It is a remote island, with an unseen danger... But still.. he did this so his friends would relax and be happy... you huffed softly through your nostrils, feeling your face tense up subtly. and yet... Looking over your shoulder, you glared at the tall shape sleeping just a few paces away from you in frustration. There's him... you grumbled in frustration.

Despite Steven's unwavering friendliness towards him, Lars just continues to be difficult. He couldn't even acknowledge the fact that Steven had gifted him a free vacation! Instead he just continues to be distant and nit-picky. He's so rude...

So bitter...

The more you stared however, the more troubled your expression became.

So... Why do I worry about him as well?

~~~~~~~[next day timeskip]~~~~~~~~

"Boy, this is harder than I thought..."

Spinel muttered, pouting at the fish that had just slipped out of her grip. Sadie groans in frustration, after failing to catch a fish that had temporarily leapt out of the water at her, startling steven that was sitting on a rock a few paces away from her. "Ugh, Tell me about it!"

She sighed in defeat, pushing her sodden bangs out of her face, before turning to steven. "What about you?" Steven looks down at his foot, which had a string attached to his big toe. "Mmm... no... but I can see why." He unties the string from his toe and pulls it out of the water, revealing a purple worm tied at the other end of it. However, unlike a regular faceless worm, it bore an odd long nosed face, wearing an odd smiling expression. "My bait is too adorable to eat." Spinel giggles and pokes at it, while Sadie just stared at with discomfort. "Everything on this island has such a bright happy smile on its face." lifts his head and turns to you, who was standing just a few steps away from the group, watching as you lifted your head out of the water. "Right, (name)?"

You looked over your shoulder, and flash him a thumbs up.