part 131: Test?!

"Well, it wasn't really a "test," per se... not in a traditional sense." Pearl tried to explain as lightly as possible. "We just wanted to see if he was ready to go on missions!"

You stared deeply at her for a moment. "...That's exactly what a test is!"

"Euuuueegh..."

"(Name), this wasn't something we planned behind his back." Garnet assured quickly, sitting up slightly in her seat. "We just saw an opportunity and..."

Steven gasps at a realization. "And I failed it..." he sinks again, resting his cheek against your chest. "I failed the test."

"No way," Amethyst assured, finishing off the last of the chips. "You got at least a 50%."

You squinted incredulously. "A 50%??"

"Ah- And he had that raft so we didn't have to swim home, so that's a solid 75; not failing at all!" Pearl was quick to add, emphasizing the last words. You narrowed your eyes, not fully satisfied with the result. "Besides, that Spire was in much worse shape than we thought. It should have been even easier."

Upon hearing this, Steven turned away from you, looking at the gems with even more shock and dismay. "I failed an easy test!?"

It just seemed that every word the gems said just made the situation worse. Between this new information and Steven's rising distress, you found yourself growing more and more frustrated with the older Gems.

"Are Gems serious?" You growled, your voice slightly low in irritation as you glared at the three gems for their lack of integrity. The three gems shrink back at the burn your look gave.

"Nice one." Amethyst glared at Pearl, unimpressed by the use of words, while Garnet got up from her spot, groaning at Pearl's wording while keeping her attention on you.

"That's not what I meant!" Pearl backpetalled, taking the smallest of steps back from you. "I-"

"Stop speaking, please." You held one paw up while pinching the bridge between your eyes with the other, feeling a dull headache coming on. "Let's just... drop this for now and we'll--"

"No." Steven suddenly interrupted you.

"I need another test!" He exclaimed excitedly. "A hard one!"

"What??" You asked, taken off guard.

"Yuh-oh." You heard Spinel utter from her spot on the loft's edge, as lion peeked over the side of the loft with her having heard your tense voice.

"But Steven..." Pearl briefly shared a glare with Amethyst and a worried glance at you. "You've come so far-"

"--And there's no need for any other test." You finished rather gruffly, making Pearl flinch. "Steven is a perfectly capable Crystal Gem now."

"But let me prove it." Steven insisted, getting himself hyped up in the process. "Test me! Test me!"

"Steven, hon," your voice was light, but it still slightly stiff with worry, as you turned him around and set both your midpaws on his shoulders, trying to hide your growing tension. "With all that's happened so far, there's no need to prove--"

"No, (name). I want this. I want to show you how far I've come since you've joined us." He insisted, putting his hands over yours with a determined look on his face. "I promise I'll be extra careful! Just let me show my progress to you! To everyone!"

"But..." You had to force yourself to keep your fur flat as your tension increased. "Steven's already--"

"Oh, please, (Name)? Let me this one test? Please, please, please!" He clasped his hands together, bouncing on his toes as he pleaded with you.

Your mouth was pressed into a tight line, as a light whine emanated from your mouth. You stared pensively at the shining, starry eyes of the young child before you. Just that look alone told you that there was no talking him out of this.

You breathed in deep through your nose, glared over at the three gems that stood nervously before you.

You groaned, pinching the bridge between your eyes, feeling a the pounding ache return.

So much for a relaxing day today...

~~~~~~[in the Warp room]~~~~~~~

"Alright, Steven. We've adjusted the metaphysical properties of the temple to create a customized dungeon for you." Pearl stated, projecting a hologram of the dungeon. "Now, just beyond here are three chambers designed by each of us to simulate the challenges of a mission. Should you succeed, you will unlock the final door, where we will be waiting for you."

"Alright!" Steven cheered. "That's more like it!"

You rumbled lowly in your throat, your forearms crossed over your chest and your muzzle wrinkled in a slightly grimace at the idea.

"Steven, this won't be easy." Garnet cautioned, setting a hand on his shoulder. "Be careful in there."

"Right. I won't let you down this time." Steven said with an air of resolve.

"That's the spirit!" Pearl praised.

"Yeeeeah! Get amped, Steven!" Amethyst added enthusiastically.

"How come (Name) gets to go in with him, n' I can't?" Spinel pouted, looking up at Pearl.

"Cuz' she might spazz out on us if he takes too long or gets hurt." Amethyst stated bluntly, earning a rough nudge from Garnet and Pearl hissing her name in a panic.

"Ahem! It's just a precaution!" Pearl quickly reassured. "Just to make sure he stays on course.

"Right. On course." You grumbled with a sigh, sounding tired. "Besides, this isn't a game, Spinny."

"Yeah! Plus she isn't allowed to help me! Only observe." Steven puffed his chest out proudly. There was a pause, and he looked back at you, looking you in the eye with his brows furrowed.

"Promise you won't try to help me."

You winced at this, letting out a soft grunt of indignance at the situation, but sighed again. "(Name) won't help. Only watch. She promises."

He notices the sour expression on your face and gave you a soft, reassuring smile. "I promise, I'll be careful."

You nodded faintly, but your smile came off as more of a sneer.

With that, Steven looked over at the old gems. "I'm ready."

The gems gave one last worried look at you before they opened the temple door, to which you both walked into.

"Good luck!" You heard Amethyst exclaim. "You're gonna need ittt!"

"Have fun!" Spinel called, waving to you cheerfully.

With that, the temple doors shut, draping you both in darkness.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was originally gonna leave reader out of the temple, but I think I know how to write it out better this way.

Stay tuned!~