part 23: home..?

"Fan out!"

you heard garnet call from behind as you all fled, causing your chest to freeze in anxiety.

oh my stars, oh dear star, oh good gracious, this is BAD!! you thought, clutching the mirror in your jaws as you ran down the beach with steven in the lead, taking refuge behind a giant Boulder. Steven pants as spinel bites her fingertips, trembling in your withers as steven snatched the mirror from your jaws, and stared down at it in bewildered fear. "wh-what do we do now..?!" whimpered spinel, hugging your neck. Steven's focus was on the mirror. "what's their problem with you??" the reflection was warping and rippling. "it's trying to say somethin'!" spinel exclaimed.

"away from home!" it exclaimed. you looked down at it, mouth partially opened in alarm. wait... what?

"let! me! OUT!"

let me... out..? you squinted at the mirror from behind your bangs, as steven and spinel stared frantically down at it. "I don't understand!" steven cried out as you mulled the words over in your head. away from home... you wrinkled your muzzle in concentration at the message in the sentence. let me out...

"STEVEN!? SPINEL!? (NAME)!!?"

pearl's frantic voice sounded in a distance, raising more panic within the small duo, as spinel cried out through clenched jaws pulling her pigtails in panic as Steven stared desperately into the mirror. "come on! we wanna help you!" he shouted pleadingly into his rippling reflection, as spinel jumped from you and landed at his side, a fearful glare on her face. "spit it out, would ya!?" she exclaimed, voice raised in a pitch of fearful frustration. you were completely silent as you replayed the plea over and over in your head.

away from home... your pupils quivered as it all began to clear up.

slowly...

let...

coming...

me...

together...

OUT!

something suddenly clicked in your head like a light switch being flicked on. your eyes flew open and a deep gasp erupted from your throat, catching steven's attention. "(n-name)?" he called, shakily. "What's wrong-"

WHAP!!

"HEY!" steven stumbled back as you suddenly snatched the mirror from the boy's tiny hands, your massive paw making him stagger back into spinel who caught him before he could fall over. "what's the big idea?!" she asked sharply, taken aback from your sudden actions.

you didn't even spare them a side glance as you rose to your hind legs, startling steven and spinel into holding each other as you focused on the suddenly familiar mirror between your thumb and index finger, twirling it subtly in your grip. that was when you squinted at the blue teardrop on the back. you glance up at the wide-eyed duo for a moment, your own eyes narrowed into a determined glare, which was very uncharacteristic for your normally friendly, almost dopey grin.

"stay back."

that was all you said to them as you clamped your thumb and index finger over the teardrop into a firm grip. "(n-name)!" Steven stammered in alarm. "w-what're you-" you blocked out his protestations as you started to pull at it.

it was really stuck in there. even for you to take out, as you had to be firm enough not to lose your grip but careful enough not to break it any further. during the struggles, you failed to notice igniting the protestations of the small duo from the duo a couple inches away from you.