The calls

Chapter Three

Lola's Pov

Another Invitation to another wedding. Lola stared at the blue invitation card Feyi dropped with the rest of the correspondence.

Tinuke

Weds

Mathew.

She laughed so loud. What was wrong with these small small children getting married. Tinuke was a distant cousin, and it wasn't long she saw her posting her graduation on Facebook. If she could remember very well. Tinuke should be twenty-two or twenty-three. She was practically a baby and now even she was getting married.

She stared at her phone. Thankfully, there was no call from her mother, yet. Yet was important because she was certain her mother was going to call. Anytime there was a wedding or naming ceremony in the family her mother would take it upon her to call her and inform her of what a failure she was for still not being married. Also, she was incapable of giving her the grandchild she so desire. Forget the fact that she was one of the most successful women in the country being single automatically made her a failure in her mother's sight.

Her phone rang. She picked it up and was surprised, it was the bride to be calling her. She knew once she received the invitation that a call would follow. They were always asking her for financial assistance.

She sighed and picked up the call, "Hello"

There was noise in the backroom before she could clearly hear Tinuke's voice, "Hello, ma"

She rolled her eyes. Another thing about being this wealthy was the fact that people will respect you whenever they are about to ask for your help.

"Congratulations, Tinuke. I just received your invitation card. How's the preparation?"

She heard another voice whisper in the background. A shuffle before Tinuke's voice filled her ears, "It's going fine, ma. But, I believe with your assistance, ma. It will go better."

This one decided not to beat around the bush. Some would pretend that wasn't the main reason they called, but she knew better. "How much do you want me to help with?"

The voice in the background whispered again. Then Tinu's voice. "Ma, although we have bought some of the things. Paid for the band. Paid the caterers. We have also..."

"Can you just cut to the chase? I don't have all day to be on call."

Another whisper. By now, Lola was convinced that the call was placed on speaker and whoever was whispering beneath was the one telling her what to say.

"Five million, ma."

Lola laughed. Families can be so funny and feel entitled sometimes. Were they expecting her to sponsor the wedding or just because she was wealthy, she had to spend lavishly. Five million to support a wedding.

"I don't have more than a million for you. I can't afford five million for now."

She heard the whisper again and a hiss. The person surely doesn't have any idea that she could hear them.

Tinuke on the other hand sounded happy, "Thank you, ma. I will send my account number now. And I will be expecting you, ma. Your presence alone will do great, ma."

"Of course, I will be there. Send your bank details. Bye."

She knew she won't be there. That would only be another avenue for her mother and her squad to remind her of what a failure she was. Especially when she arrives there without a man to call her own. Then, one of her big mouth aunties would say that was the reason a woman shouldn't have too much money. She won't know how to bow down to a man who is not as rich as she was.