Let's Be Friends.

Chapter Eight

Samuel’s POV

He was confused all through the day.  He knew he signed that contract with Lola but he didn’t sign his privacy away.  She had been calling him almost every minutes at work, and then she was suddenly in his house trying to cook him a meal. 

Who does that?

He was cool with all that until he discovered that Racheal would return home soon, and she was going to see Lola.  Then, his little baby would start nursing hopes for what wouldn’t even happen.  There was no way he was going to hurt his baby that way.   

He picked up the car key and ran home.  The moment he got home, he could hear the laughter from his sitting room.  It was just the way it was when Lara was alive.  He always return home to laughter.   He shook his head, this was more reason he shouldn’t allow Lola into his life anymore.  He wasn’t ready for the love and pain anymore.

He walked in and pulled her out of her seat to his bedroom.  That was the only place he could talk to her without Tola or Mimi listening in on their conversations.  He might be their boss but Lola also had a reputation to protect.

He wasn’t ready to beat round the bush, and the faster he said it, the least he would feel hurt and overthink it.  Let’s just think about Racheal  “This is not part of our contract.  Remember, privacy.  I don’t like this.”

He saw her smiling face turned to frown immediately.  He hated being the cause of the frown on her face, but it was for a greater good.  It was to avoid more hurt in the future.  

“But…” She tried explaining but he cut her off

“No buts, please, let’s stick to the contract.  Making the public believe we are in love and actually deceiving your mother until we find the right time to announce that we break up.”

She was silent. He shifted on his foot. Damn! She should say something, even if it was one of her rude responses he wouldn’t mind but she was too quiet for his liking.  She darted her eyeballs from him to the floor then she pulled her hand off him, ran to the sitting room to pick up her bag, and drove home in haste.

He followed behind her and could see the surprise in Tola and Mimi’s shocked expressions.  He knew they were curious, but they wouldn’t dare ask him what was going on.  Ever since Lara died, he had bottled up most of his emotions.  People avoided asking him certain questions.

Now, he felt bad about the way she had left and contemplated calling her or not.  

What if she got hurt while driving in anger? Did she come here with her guards?  He wasn’t sure because he had driven in out of anger.  

He picked up his phone and scrolled to her contact.  His hand stood on her contact.  Should he or should he not call her.  Was she or was she not angry? 

He finally decided to call her.  It would be better for her to get angry at him on the phone than for his guilt to keep beating him up.  The phone rang but no one picked it up.  He tried four more times and there wasn’t a response. 

He felt more bothered now.  Was she ignoring his call or did something actually happened to her?   The moment he sat to relax, Tola brought a plate of food to him.  It was fried rice and fried plantain - his favourite.  He wasn’t hungry but the moment she dropped the food his stomach protested.

He picked the spoon up and digged in.  It was delicious, way more delicious than the food Tola usually prepare for him.

“Did you cook this?” he said with food still full in his mouth.   Tola was currently dropping a bottle of water in front of him.