Friends Meeting

Lola's Pov

There was something wrong with Samuel, but Lola couldn't pinpoint it. She thought they were getting closer, but all of a sudden, he wanted them to end the contract as soon as possible. She knew using Rachael as an excuse was bullshit, but she wouldn't call him out on it. If he wanted them to be over, then there was something wrong. All she had to do was discover whatever was wrong and fixed it.

She stared at the file in front of her absently; it was just two days before the wedding. She was certain that after the wedding, Samuel would want nothing to do with her anymore. He would feel like he had done his part of their contract, and he was certainly free. It was up to her to find a way to make him see that they can be more. She could feel it, so why couldn't he feel it?

"Ma'am, the investors are waiting for you in the conference room." Feyi's voice dragged her out of her thoughts. She stared at Feyi blankly.

"Can we reschedule?"

Feyi checked the file she was holding, while Lola waited for her to do whatever she was doing. "We can't ma. You have other things on your schedule, and adjusting this is going to affect it."

Lola glared at her, "And there is no way you can make it work."

Feyi glanced at the book again, her lip set in a thin lie. She nodded, "We can make it work ma. I will figure it out."

Lola smiled. She knew it wasn't fair on Feyi, but she needed to figure out whatever was going on with Samuel. Why was he pushing her away all of a sudden? "And Feyi, cancel everything on my schedule today. I'm busy with other things."

Feyi nodded and walked out with her back. Lola smiled at that. She stood up to pick up her bag when her phone beeped. She picked it up, her smile got wider when she saw it was Samuel's message.

'What are you doing today? Do you want to hang out?

Instead of replying, she called him immediately, "Of course, I want to hang out with you."

Samuel chuckled, "Hello to you too, Lola. But, it's not just us hanging out. I want you to meet my friends. You can also invite Laura."

Lola sighed, she had thought he had rethought his decision and wanted to hang out with her. Yet, his decision to meet his friends all of a sudden was confusing. "Okay. I will inform Laura." She hung up, losing the excitement she had felt at the beginning of the call. What was really happening? One minute, he wanted nothing to do with her, and the next he want her to meet his friends.

It didn't take Lola long to drive to Samuel's place. Laura was seated on the sofa watching a program. She barely knew anyone who entered the room. It was Tola's greeting that called her attention to Lola.

Laura smiled her signature smile, "Why are you back so soon?"

Lola frowned, "We are going out together."

That got Laura's interest so fast. "We are going out? Me too." She asked.

Lola almost rolled her eyes, and she wasn't in a habit of doing that. Laura loved to go out. She wasn't even bothered about who had invited them. "Of course, you too. We are hanging out with Samuel's friend."

Laura opened her mouth to talk, but Lola stopped her, "And don't ask me how handsome they are. I haven't met any of them yet. This is a first for me too."

Laura's mouth got wider, and Lola could bet she was already calculating things she didn't want to know. Before Lola could say anything else, Laura had started pushing her towards the stairs. "If we are going to be meeting some hot you men, then we need to start getting dressed."

Lola allowed herself to be pushed by Laura. "Didn't you just break it off with Chief? You aren't officially divorced yet, Laura, and you are already thinking about some hot young men."

Laura chuckled, "What will a young lady do? Life has to go on."

Lola shook her head but found herself smiling. She was glad that everything happening was not weighing Laura down.

She allowed Laura to turn her face to her canvas, as she applied all sorts of makeup until she was satisfied.

"What do you think?"

Lola glanced at herself in the mirror and nodded at what Laura had done. She wasn't a professional, but it wasn't bad. "Why don't you think about learning make-up and becoming a professional? It is what you love to do, and you can also earn why doing what you like."

Laura smiled and attacked her in an unexpected hug, "That's a great idea, Lola. Why didn't I ever think of something like this? Instead of being a liability to others, I can afford some things for myself."

Lola smiled, "I am happy that you like the idea. You can make your research, let me know the estimate. I will help you set something up."

Lola was attacked in another hug. She smiled, pulling Laura back from her. When she gazed at Laura, her eyes were wet from unshed tears. Lola's smile got wider. Damn! She never thought she was going to experience a day Laura cry because she was very happy. She pulled her back to herself and patted her back. "This is what sisters do for each other. Do you want to look ugly to those hot men?"

Laura chuckled and started wiping off the tears from her eyes. "You are just amazing, Lola. I am grateful to you. I don't know what I would do without you."

"I don't know too. That's why we are sisters."

Laura nodded and got ready for their hangout.

The ride to wherever Samuel was taking them to was awkward. She could use a knife to cut the tension surrounding them. Apart from complementing her beauty, Samuel hadn't said another word to her. In fact, he had avoided looking at her. He focused on the road as if it was the most interesting thing he had ever seen. Laura, who was naturally talkative, was also quiet throughout the ride. Lola couldn't help but think she was the only one that felt awkward in the car.

Thankfully, Samuel parked the car in front of a bar. She raised her brow. This was the type of place she loved to avoid because of her profile. How was she supposed to be in a bar, and people wouldn't recognize her? It seemed impossible.

Samuel cleared his throat, but he didn't look at her. "We are not going through the front door. I know you have a reputation to keep, and I wouldn't damage them. There is a door at the back, and our table is in a secluded place, so you will be fine.

She nodded. He wanted them to call this off, but he still cared about her reputation. How was she supposed o lose a man this understanding and caring? She didn't need to tell him before he knew what to do. "Thank you, Sam."

Finally, he looked at her but then averted his gaze immediately. Lola frowned. Is there something wrong with her makeup? Or maybe he doesn't like the cloth she was wearing? She had put on a simple blue gown because of him. She wore something sexy, but not too much. She glanced at Laura for help, but Laura had a wide smile on her face as if she knew a secret Lola had no idea about.

Samuel led them to the back door, and as he had promised, the place was secluded. She didn't see anyone until her gaze stopped in front of a table where five guys were seated. The moment their gaze zeroed in on her, one of them stood up with an open mouth. Lola almost laughed, but she was a bit nervous to meet Samuel's friend.

The guy that stood up was the first to break the silence, "Hello, Miss Lola Makinde. My name is Ibrahim, and it is a pleasure to meet you. I have always wanted to meet a woman of your caliber, and I am glad that I could achieve that goal today. I have read a lot about you." He took her hand and shook it rigorously. Lola looked at Samuel questioningly, but he shrugged with a smile.

"Lola, meet my friends. This is Mayor, and that is Akin, and that is Junior, but we call him junior boy. That is Lekan, and Ibrahim just introduced himself to you. Guys, this is Lola Makinde and her friend Laura."

Lola sighed. It was surely going to be a long evening. She glanced at Laura who was smiling widely at the guy Samuel had introduced as Mayor. She chuckled, it was definitely going to be a long evening.