Pro prosal

Lola's P.O.V.

One week later.

The tension in the room was so thick that a knife could cut through it. Lola glared at her mother; she hadn't expected her to have a series of questions for Samuel. She thought all her mother wanted was for her to get married. She should be glad she finally brought a guy home.

During the past week, she had been trying to register Seyi in the home, and true to her words, he needed medical attention. It made it easier for her to get him registered, but one of his families was also granted permission to visit him whenever they wanted. It wasn't what Lola wanted, but it was fine.

Now, Samuel sat beside Lola in her family home. He had insisted on meeting her mother, and here she was to make his dream come true.

Her mother, Mrs. Makinde, sat on a big chair opposite them, with weird-looking glasses she placed on her nose as if she was looking down on them. In front of them was refreshment both didn't touch because of her gaze on them. Everything felt like some sort of test.

"What do you say you do again, my dear?"

Samuel sat up, "I run a hotel business."

She tsked, "Hotel... Hotel... Not bad. Not bad."

"Mummy..." Lola tried to speak, but a glare kept her mouth shut so fast. If there was anyone, Lola feared it was her mother. Her mother was an iron lady that doesn't take nonsense from any child, and because Lola was her only child and a daughter, she paid special attention to making sure she didn't become a nuisance to society. So, Lola was versed in the language of the body. Her mother didn't need to open her mouth to communicate with her. The glare she had sent to Lola simply means, 'Keep quiet. Was I talking to you?' as usual, she complied with the unspoken warning.

"Ehn ehn, Samuel dear, you know this is my daughter's first marriage. I want to know if this is yours, too."

Lola couldn't keep quiet on that; with everything that had happened to her, she hadn't spoken to her mother about Samuel's past marriage or Rachael. Samuel held her hand and squeezed it as she tried to speak in assurance.

"No, ma. This isn't my first marriage. I've been married once, but I lost my wife to cancer. We've a daughter together, ma."

Her mother smiled at them. She had researched Samuel the moment Lola gave her his name. She wanted to know if he was one of those riff-raffs that her daughter was determined to change their life, but she knew he wasn't. She only wanted to test him further.

"And how's my daughter's relationship with your daughter. Are you okay with it?"

Samuel smiled, "Lola is the best thing that happened to Rachael. She had been caring, loving, and treating her like her child. No one would know that Rachael wasn't Lola's daughter."

Her mother's eye moved to Lola. "This same stubborn Lola."

"Mummy," Lola shrieked.

Her mother laughed, killing the tension in the room. "It's fine, Samuel. You're welcome to the family. All you guys have to do now is pick a date for the wedding. I want it as soon as possible. You hear."

They both nodded.

"I'll excuse you guys." She smirked at them knowingly before retreating out of the room.

Lola breathed a breath of relief that brought a smile to Samuel's lip, "Where you nervous?"

Lola nodded, "You don't know my mother. I was afraid she will send you packing with questions."

"That's normal though. It only shows that she wants what is best for you."

Lola rolled her eyes, "I know what's best for me. I'm not a teenager."