Two Invitees

Lola's POV

Dan, who had been rigid all this while, frowned more bitterly as they approached the governor's son's house. When they almost got to the gate, he turned towards her. "Ma, do you really have to do this? I can submit this on your behalf and I will do well."

She raised her chin up and mustered a glare towards him, "Do I look like some porcelain that can't hold its own end? I told you, no one will hurt me simply because I came to invite them to a program."

He dragged in his breath but didn't utter another word, and we drove past the gate. The security was as tight as that of Funmi, but he didn't waste time discussing unnecessarily with Dan as Funmi's security had. I was glad because I was already getting of the little duty I had assigned to myself.

Tomi was waiting in his veranda with a pair of short trousers that looked like a boxer, and a white singlet. For someone who was expecting a guest, he was underdressed. Dan shared a look with Lola and held a fighting stance.

Lola's gaze swept around and she could tell he had boys hiding, if anything should happen, Dan wouldn't stand a chance against them all, so she gave him the face, and he relaxed a bit.

Before Lola could greet him, he engulfed her in a tight embrace, "It's good to see you, Lola. When I received your call, I doubted it. The Lola I know doesn't have time to visit."

Lola had to tap him gently behind before he released her.

"Let's go inside. I had the chef prepare a dish the moment I knew you were coming."

She nodded and followed him inside. He ushered her to the dining table filled with different food. It was the opposite of the simple table she usually set for Samuel.

"Thank you. You didn't have to do this."

He pulled out a chair for her, and she seated. Taking the seat opposite her, his eyes drifted to Dan who followed behind her.

"You can tell your guy to leave. You are safe here."

Dan's mouth twitched to say something, but he knew it wasn't his place to talk. Lola turned to Dan and frowned.

"Don't bother about him. He blends into the background just fine. You won't even know he is there."

Tomi chuckled and raised a brow in a challenge, "Are you scared something will happen to you in my house?" He let out a loud laugh. "This place is highly secured, you have nothing to worry about, and how are we supposed to have some talk with him listening."

Lola sighed and turned towards Dan again.

His body went rigid, and she could hear the pleas from his unspoken words.

"Wait outside, Dan. If I need you, I will let you know."

He turned to glare at Tomi. "But..."

She cut him off, "No buts. I will call you once I am ready to leave."

Without another word, he stalked towards the door after sparing them two glances.

"Are you happy now?"

Tomi pouted. "Is there anything wrong in wanting to have a good time with an old friend? I know you came here for a reason, but if I can snatch a few moments from you, why will I deny myself that pleasure."

Lola narrowed her eyes towards him. Could he be the stalker? Did she just endanger herself by sending Dan out?

Tomi gestured to the food, "Let's eat while we discuss."