Let Her Go

Samuel's POV

They were both speechless.  Who knew she was going to ask for something he couldn't give.  He thought the wish was going to be something simple but she had surprised him like she always does. 

This time around a glance at Lola couldn't help him. She sat down staring at them without a readable expression.

What was he supposed to say?  Babes, that's not the way it works. She just can't be your mum like that, we need to start first by dating, then if we like ourselves that much. We will get married.  Also, we were not actually dating.  Aunty Lola was just helping daddy save his company and daddy was helping Aunty Lola to deceive her mother.   If a ten-year-old would understand that, it would have been nice but she wouldn't understand.

All she knew was that a mother figure had been missing in her life and now Lola was giving her the attention she had needed since.   That was why she was craving for Lola.

Samuel knew he had to do something about it fast but glancing at a silent Lola, he knew he couldn't betray her, especially now that he knew that was someone dangerous around her.

Racheal's eyes were big with expectation. "Say something, daddy."

He nodded, "Okay.  I have heard your wish.  I will work on it."

He wasn't promising and he could explain to her later but at the moment he needed her to be happy.

Racheal's eyes widened, "Is that a promise?"

He already knew his daughter was not an average ten year old.   He nodded, and that seemed to satisfy her as she ran to hug Lola.  Lola hugged her back and gave a tight smile to Samuel.  He was sure she knew he was bluffing but she kept up with him.

His respect for her increased at that moment.

Lola suddenly clapped, "Now that we are done playing games. Let's eat."

Ever since Lola started living with them, their meals had gotten better. They were eating food that tasted better, not that Samuel observed that the food wasn't tasting good enough before.  

Tola's food was the best to him until he tasted Lola's and he was doubting after the deal was over he would go back to eating Tola's food without comparing it to Lola's.

After the meal, they were watching the television and having a side conversation when Lola's phone rang. 

Just as she did when her mother called, she picked up the call in their presence without excusing herself.  Samuel found it refreshing that she was comfortable saying anything in their presence. 

She was frowning while the other person talked.  Samuel wished he knew what they were discussing, whatever it was. 

What if it was the person threatening him?  The thought brought with it a lot of discomforts.  And he found himself frowning with Lola.  Racheal was oblivious to what was happening and continued smiling at the people on the television.

After some minutes, Lola cut the call.  She picked up her phone and ran up the stairs to her room. 

What the heck just happened?

Samuel ran after her.   He found her about to pull off her nightmare and suddenly felt so shy about barging into a woman's room. Lola pulled the cloth down as fast as she can, giving him an awkward smile.  He bet she must have been very embarrassed.  He was embarrassed at himself.

"I am sorry." He said.  

"It's okay, you had no idea what I was doing.  What do you want?"

He scratched the back of his neck, "Nothing.  I was just bothered that you ran upstairs after your call.  Hope all is well?"