Hidden Truth

Lola's POV

The ladies all gathered around Lauren with a smile, while she wore a frown. Rachael sat on the edge of the bed with her phone in her hand. She wore a smile too.

"You look beautiful, Aunt Lauren" Mimi cooed making Lauren turn her burning glare at her. Mimi decided it was best to hide behind Tola before an eye missile hit her.

"Stop scaring the girls, they are not responsible for your predicament." Lola was the designated makeup artist, not because she was better than Lauren, but because Lauren had refused to put any sort of effort into her date with Mayor. She doesn't want him to think she was trying to impress him when she can't even deal with him. It took a lot of convincing to get her to agree with the date, and Lola decided it would be best if the date happened sooner than later before either of them change their mind.

Tola and Mimi had nothing to do and had decided to come to cheer Lauren on. The ladies had formed a friendly relationship with them and knew when not to pass their boundaries after learning about Lola's identity when she introduced her new bodyguard to them.

"Of course, I should just direct my fury at you," Lauren responded, smacking her lips so that the lipstick would blend well.

Lola smiled, "I thought you like pretty guys."

She nodded, "I like them when they aren't against every one of my points."

Rachael looked up from her phone. "I like a pretty boy too. Ken is pretty."

Lola frowned. This wasn't a discussion that should be taking place in front of her, and she had forgotten. She wasn't used to the motherly duties that came with taking care of Rachael. She left Lauren and crouched in front of Rachael. The girl smiled at her, knowing there was someone who would shower her with attention all the time "I'm sure you do, Rachael, but remember what I told you, dear; Books before boys."

Rachael frowned. "Why? I can have both instead. My friends read and still have boyfriends."

Lauren chuckled, while Lola turned to glare at her. She turned back to meet a curious Rachael, "I get it, dear. You want to do what your friends are doing."

She nodded.

"That's not good enough my dear. You have to learn not to do what others are doing. You have to learn to do things for yourself because you want to have that thing. Will you put your hand in the fire because your friend did?"

She shook her head, "It's dangerous, and I can easily get burned."

Lola smirked at her; she was getting close to her goal. "Exactly. You know what can happen?"

She shook her head again.

Lola smiled, "Your friend may not get burned, but when it gets to your turn, the fire might burn you."

Rachael shudders. "Is the story a proverb?

"Yes, and its lesson is that one doesn't need to follow what others are doing."

Rachael sighed, "That sounds hard to do."

Lola held her face, "But you will do it for mummy, right?"

She nodded. Rachael was eager to please her new mum, so she wouldn't leave her and her dad like her old mum did. "I can't wait to show you to my friends on visiting day." With that, she lost interest in the affair going on in the room. "Later, mummy. I have some homework to do."

Tola and Mimi followed behind her with a little smile on their face. Since Lola came to the house, it had made it easier to manage Rachael who wouldn't listen to anyone than her father.

"Wow, Lola. You are turning into the typical African mother." Lauren smiled and stood up.

"Just say I am a good mother, which one is an Africa mother."

Lauren rolled her eyes, "I'm glad you feel taunt; enjoy some of the sufferings I am going to endure today, as you brought it to her."

Lola waved at her and pushed her bag towards her, "We will be a guest at your wedding."

Lauren only shrugged, and said in her fake British accent, "How do I look?" Lola laughed, it had been a while since she heard her using that accent. Lauren glared at her, before she murmured, "Good luck."

Lauren left making Lola sighed and dropped on the bed. The fact that there was a guard waiting for her down made her aware of her issues. She picked up her phone and dialed a number. "Hello, Dan, did you find anything out about the stalker? The guest list I gave you should be helpful."

Dan grunts hating that he was of no help to his boss, "Ma, most of the guests are high-profile personnel. I need more time to dig into them, and the I.P. of where the picture was sent kept fluctuating even when we know it was at the orphanage. But, there is something else you need to know, ma."

She sat up, "All ears."

"I met up with one of your ex, ma. I am sorry I did without your permission, but I knew you were not going to give me permission."

Of course, she wouldn't. Why would she give him permission to meet with those gold diggers on her behalf, but the deed is done.

"So?"

"I learned something interesting, ma. You are not the only one receiving the threat from him, ma. The guy I met was also receiving threats from your stalker."

What!

Her thought went astray. Does that mean most of her ex-boyfriends or probably all of her ex-boyfriends left her because of a threat? Has she been misjudging them when they had a valid reason for leaving? Why didn't anyone tell her about the threat? Her head swirled around. She heard Dan speaking, but she could hardly comprehend what he was saying. If her ex-boyfriend were receiving threats, that could only mean Samuel was also on the receiving end of this threat.

She hung up on Dan without another word and started dialing Samuel's number. She wouldn't lose this relationship because of some cowardly stalker.

"Hello, sweetheart."

He was still calling her sweetheart. That was a good omen, right?

Maybe, he wasn't receiving threats. He should be the one to leave her easily if he was receiving threats; he had a daughter to protect, and she wouldn't blame him if he picked his daughter over her. She would.

"What's wrong, Lola? Why aren't you saying anything? Did something happen?"

There was no way he was receiving the threat. All she had to do was find the coward before he gets a way to start communicating with Samuel.

She forced a smile, "Nothing's wrong, dear. I was just missing you and decided to make a call."

"Really! Then you read my mind. I was just thinking of calling you out on a date. What do you think? Just us two somewhere nice."

That would have been nice if there wasn't a death threat following her. "I would love to, but I have some project at hand. When I am done, we can easily make it a family vacation; somewhere outside the country."

Samuel hummed at the other end, "I am fine with anywhere, as long as you are there. I have other things to do. Call you later, sweetheart."

"Later, dear. I love you."

He responded and hung up.

She called Dan back with a frown, "Set me up with the ex you met. I need to know some things."