Lola's Pain

Lola’s POV

Her hand quivered on the steering wheel.  Why? Why would Samuel send a message for her to come over to Mayor’s with Dan. Her eyes stayed on the road with a scowl on her mouth.  

Dan held the door tightly; he had never seen his boss driving so fast like that, but her driving skill was the least of his worries, but the anger that was evident in her eyes.  Something was wrong.  Something that he thinks he might link to the stalker. 

“I think you need to park and let me drive.”

She spared him a glance before focusing on the road ahead again. Without any word, she moved faster than before earning curses and repeated horn from others driving by.  

With her speed, she got to Mayor’s place in a record time.  Before Dan could come out, she was already on her way to the stairs, the people working down felt like blurry lines to her as she couldn’t think to spare them a glance.  She didn’t exactly know where Mayor’s office was as she had never been there before, but she didn’t think to call Samuel not when the message he had left her stated.

Couldn’t go home; come over to Mayor’s with Dan.  Urgent. 

She had closed the folder on her table and dragged Dan where he was resting without an explanation.

Now, she kept opening random rooms in the office, and closing it back without muttering sorry.  She heard footstep behind her and without glancing back, she knew it was Dan following behind her. 

Finally, she opened a door to see Samuel, Rachael and the guys all sitting around a wide table she guess Mayor might used in designing things.  They all turned to glance at the door that opened suddenly, and sighed in relief when they saw Lola.  Rachael ran to her, engulfing her in a hug. She looked up at her with that her innocent eyes.

“Are you here to pick us up, Mummy?”

She crouched to her level touching her face.  Sincerely, she had thought something had happened to Samuel and Rachael, but seeing her like this. Being able to touch her face brings with it some sort of relieve. “No.  I am here to visit Uncle Mayor too.”

She looked back at her father and his friends, then leaned closer to Lola’s ears, “Daddy have been acting strange.  I think something is wrong.”

Lola raised a brow towards Samuel; they were all staring at the both of them.  She flashed a smile towards them before replying Rachael. “Everything is going to be fine.  Mummy is here. Okay.”

She flashed a smile, “Okay.”

Twining their fingers, they walked hand in hand towards the guys. Dan moved slowly behind her, his breathing even – no sign that he had running after her not quite long. 

Lola flashed the guys a smile, “How are you all?”

They all nodded, even Ibrahim who had always been eager to meet her seemed calm for some reason.  She moved closer to Samuel while his hand moved to the lower part of her waist.  He kissed her cheeks. “I am glad that you are safe.” He whispered in her ears.

Lola nodded as if to say me too.  

Samuel excused her to say something to Mayor.  Mayor nodded at him.  She had no idea what they were talking about but it seemed important.  Immediately, Mayor picked up his phone and called someone.

After a while, the door to the office opened and a young lady came in; with the way she was dressed official and a tape rule on her neck, Lola guessed she was one of Mayor’s apprentices.  She smiled shyly and the guys and greeted them before meeting Mayor.