About to Start

SAMUEL'S P.O.V.

Laura and Rachael were the first to arrive. He didn't want Rachael here, but there was no safer place to hide her than where they could see her monitor every move, so they had asked Laura to bring her along today.

"Wow... Is this mummy's house?" Rachael's eyes moved everywhere like she could see a dozen things simultaneously. She didn't spare her parents a look as she ran through the mansion, touching things randomly. Lola smiled at her, which, in turn, made Samuel smile. At least someone was excited about what was happening.

Before they could keep tabs on her, Rachael had run into one of the many rooms. Lola shook her head, "I think it's a bad idea we brought her here. We can't even monitor her while looking for a stalker."

"I know, right. She is just so energetic, like her mother."

Lola paused.

Samuel paused.

This was the first time he spoke about Lara freely without that heavy feeling in his chest. Before, whenever he mentioned her name, he felt hurt, but now, he felt so at ease to speak about her. So, he smiled. "Lara was like that too. She was always jumping around, inquisitive, and stressing me like Rachael."

Lola remained quiet beside him, and he thought he might have offended her by speaking about his dead wife, but when he turned towards her, she smiled slightly. "You must have missed her a lot."

Speechless, he nodded.

"It's okay. Whenever you need to talk about her with someone, you can always share it with me. I don't mind."

"Are you sure?"

"Of course. You know Lola Makinde doesn't do anything she doesn't want. And concerning Rachael, I'll assign one guard to keep watch of her if you don't mind."

He breathed in relief and chuckled, "I don't mind in any way. I'm glad someone will be keeping watch of that girl. I'll feel at ease knowing she is okay."

As promised, Lola made a call to Dan. Soon, Bimbo appeared and was tasked with caring for Rachael. Glad they had properly dealt with that, the couple went to the hall's entrance to receive guests. Their crew was the first to arrive, and they greeted and thanked them, everyone retaining their position.

Soon, the orphanage bus arrived. Lola took it upon herself to settle the children and their directors. She placed them in a place where the CCTV could easily capture them. The directors thanked her for the special invitation. Instead of the smile he had expected from her, her face settled into a frown.

After the director left her seat, Samuel turned to her, dragging her to a private space. "What's wrong?"

She looked back at the children seated, whispering amongst themselves, the sound engineers preparing the stage, and the M.C. getting ready to mount it. "I feel fake."

He raised a brow, having no idea what that was supposed to mean, but he didn't need to think for long as Lola gave him the answer.

"Everyone I invited over here had come out of the goodness of their heart, but all for what? For a fake performance just to catch some lousy stalker." As she spoke, her voice started growing stronger and higher.

Samuel glanced back to see if anyone was eavesdropping before covering her mouth with his hand; her eyes widened at the gesture. "You're not fake. You're only trying to protect yourself and your loved one. And there is nothing more genuine than this: protecting the ones you care for in any way you can. If there were any other way, you wouldn't have to do this, but this is the only thing we can do."

To his surprise, Lola blinked back tears. Samuel stared at her in astonishment. Lola Makinde never shed tears. She had always been strong in his presence, and finally, he was glad that she was letting herself be her in his presence. He pulled her for a hug before a clearing of the throat made them look at the unwanted visitor behind them.

He wore a casual shirt and ripped jeans, with hair that seemed to lack the touch of a comb. Samuel stared at the stranger with a raised brow. Was he one of the sound engineers or something?

"Hello, Seyi..." Lola said with a clear voice. No one would have guessed she was about to weep a few seconds ago.

Seyi smiled, and his gaze returned to Samuel. "If it isn't the real Lola Makinde, it's rubbish. Who do we have here?" He pointed at Samuel like he was some ant.

Lola smiled, linking her arms with Samuel. Seyi's eyes zeroed in on their linked hands before Lola could introduce Samuel. He tsked, "Don't tell me this is who you've been getting naughty with, Lola. You're such a bad girl."

Speechless, they both stared at Seyi and his audacity. Lola shook her head, "I'm not messing..."

She could not complete it as Seyi interrupted, "I don't want to hear your naughty tales. Excuse me while I get myself acquainted with others. See you around, Lola." He turned, leaving as strangely as he had arrived.

The couple shared a strange look, "What's that all about?" Samuel asked.

"That..." She pointed in the direction he just left, "... is Seyi Gbadamosi. He is an old friend. He works in Tech."

Samuel stared at where he had passed and decided he wasn't leaving Lola's side today. He held the back of her waist and guided her back to the door, "Let's go and welcome the rest of the guests before another come wandering over here."

Lola agreed.

Laura stood at the door with Rachael beside her. They both wore a big smile, and Rachael continued bowing to the guest as if she had practiced to welcome them this way. Bimbo stood a few feet behind her. When she saw her parents, her eyes lit up.

She moved beside Lola, linking their hands, "This is so cool, mummy. I think I want to become a person that organizes parties."

Lola smiled, "You mean an event planner."

Eagerly, Rachael nodded. "Yes. That. I want to be organizing cool partied like this, and welcoming them."

Lola laughed, "What happened to being a fashion designer?"

She thought for a while and then looked at her father for help. When he didn't help her like she expected, she turned back to Lola, "Can't I be both? They're both so cool. You know."

Lola opened her mouth but was interrupted by one of the guards, "The program is about to start, ma'am. Everyone is waiting for you."

She thanked him and took a deep breath. She stared at Samuel and Laura, "I guess we're really doing this."

Laura nodded, "We're doing this, babes. We are."

As she was about to turn, someone grabbed her from the back, stopping her from taking another step.