Chp 53

I get off the train fearing everything about this year. When Voldemort announced the news that the three of us will be sent on a mission to dispose, his words not mine, of Albus dumbledoor. The room cheers for us. My mother looks at me in a proud way. My heart skips a beat at her smile. Apparently I like validation from, the idea of not being a failure to her like I always was. Lucius looked approvingly at his son. Narcissa was standing in the corner again looking scared. Snape, sitting across from me looked at me confused by my choice.

I take steps towards the doors of Hogwarts going to my usual seat with the trio. I think about Harry. Draco swore he saw him while he was in borgin and burkes looking to have a certain vanishing cabinet fixed.

The first years are sorted and dumbledoor begins his beginning of the year speech. His last my mind thinks. I tell my brain to shut up. He announces Snape to be the new defense against the dark arts teacher. He stands up and nods his head. I swore he looked at me then to the two boys at the Slytherine table. The new potion teachers is a man named Horace slughorn. I continued to take potions because I actually didn't fail. I guess Draco is a good tutor.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I meet the boys at midnight at the room of requirement to begin set up of the vanishing cabinet. We hope we don't have to use it. We have other ideas but this is the backup. Going with this plan means we have to let death eaters in. They'll get in after he's dead but we still don't want his last moments to be an invasion on his school.

"If it does get to this plan I do t want you to be there Lexi," Draco tells me.

"Why?" I ask.

"Because you've been ever so fragile about this. I don't want you to have to watch it," he says.

I know he's right about the fragile thing. All I can think about is how by the end of the year I will have killed him. Jacob wraps his arm around me.

"I agree with Draco," jacobs says.

I nod because I don't want to be there really.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I get to potions ready to see what this new professor is all about. He has multiple cauldrons on a table. Harry and Ron come running in.

"Sorry we're late we just thought we didn't make the cut on our owl," Harry says.

"It's ok," professor says.

"We also don't have book since we didn't know we'd be taking this class," the boys explain.

Slughorn points them to a shelf with second hand books. He continues with his lesson.

"Amortentia, love potion," he began, "smells different to every person. To start todays divide in to small groups and just smell it see what you smell."

I go group up with Harry, Ron, and Hermione. I didn't go with Draco so when I most likely smell him I don't boost his ego out the roof.

We sit down at a table around the potion. Harry goes first giving it a sniff. I thought for a second it might be me but I don't really think he likes me like that anymore.

"I smell treacle tart, the scent of a broomstick handle, and something flowery," he says.

Not me for sure. He passes it to Hermione

"Um, Freshly mown grass and new parchment.," she says.

The thing slides in front of Ron.

"I smell my mother's cooking, bacon, and that perfume i gave Hermione," he says.

Hermione looks at him when he says the last part. He slides the potion to me. I take a sniff.

"I smell chocolate, green apples, and just a hint of mint," I say.

Apparently Draco was seat on the next table over because he looked at me and smiled.

"If your so cocky what did you smell?" I ask.

"Haven't gone yet," he says.

Jacob looks up and gives him the potion. I put a grin on my face when he realized what Jacob had done. He takes the potion and gives it a smell.

"Pine, lavender, and paint," he says.

I let out a little laugh. The first two could be lots of people but the paint I know is me. The whole story to that is I once spilled white paint on myself and for a year the boys call me white washed. I look up and grin with satisfaction. He looks down at the table.

"Paint?" Hermione asks.

"You don't want to know and I don't want to tell," I say.

I look at Jacob and he seems to be holding in a laugh himself. I realized this is the most fun I've had in Hogwarts this year.

Slughorn moves along the lesson having us brew the draught of the living dead. It was hard but if you did it perfectly you would get a vial of liquid luck.

Harry was successful. He's horrible at potions but he somehow managed to make the potion. Slughorn handed him the vial that he won and we left with that.