Chapter 18: Plot Thickens

3rd Person P.O.V

The group head to the Adventurers' Guild Liyue branch, where they find Ganyu and Lan. Ganyu explains that the Treasure Hoarders are attempting a heist on the Abyss Order and came to the Guild to post a commission as the Qixing are too busy, so the Traveler and his companions accepts it.

Heading to the ruins, they make their way inside and find an Defiled Statue of Barbatos hanging upside down, along with the deceased Grand Thief. The area starts shaking soon after, causing Paimon to panic and tell them to flee. As they near the end, an Abyss Herald intercepts them.

After a brief scuffle, the Herald teleports away.

Outside the ruins, they find Dainsleif, who is surprised to see them.

Dainsleif: So we meet again, a little sooner than I had expected.

Paimon: Hey, it's Dain!

Dainsleif: Judging by your expression, it seems you just experienced something quite strange.

Adam: How did you-

Dainsleif: Could it be that you two have encountered an Abyss Herald in those ruins?

Paimon: Huh!? How did you know that?

Dainsleif: I've been on the Abyss Herald's trail. I didn't expect to find you here as well.

Aether: Actually, the Abyss Herald wasn't all we encountered...

Adam: There was something even stranger than the Abyss Herald in the ruins.

The Traveler then tells him about the inverted statue and the deceased thief. Dainsleif had never heard of an inverted statue before, but due to the Traveler's description of it, knows that it is tied to the Abyss Order in some way. He then proposes to catch up to the Abyss Order, so they find several groups around Jueyun Karst.

After defeating them, Dainsleif begins talking about Khaenri'ah, upon which part of the Traveler's memory regarding the fallen nation returns.

Adam felt something inside him is starting to regained fragments of memories as well, that wasn't his own or perhaps it's from this body that he got reincarnated within, but he wasn't so sure about this well... So he decided to shrug it off but he did recalled one named echoes through his mind.

Dainsleif talks more about Khaenri'ah, explaining that it was a nation without gods; not because they were killed, or that they abandoned it, but because it never had one in the first place; human civilization flourished at a very advanced pace; but around five centuries ago, that nation was destroyed by gods.

Dainsleif reveals that the Ruin Guards are just the modern names: they were originally called Field Tillers, powerful mortal weapons, and after the destruction of Khaenri'ah they wandered aimlessly spreading throughout all of Teyvat.

Dainsleif also told them about, A mighty god swordsman who is known as the Legendary Dark Knight. 500 years prior to modern times, he "woke up to justice" and defeated the old gods and their legions alongside with the Seven. When sealing the Celestia, sensing his power had grown too strong, he intentionally sealed himself and his own godly power in as well.

He would continue to influence the human world with his presence, such as when he reigned as Feudal Lord of Khaenri'ah and a trusted Advisor to the King for a time being, and, before his disappearance.

Timeskips brought by a meme: