Chapter 51: Intertwining Destinies

3rd PERSON P.O.V

Back at Aaru Village, the group now formulate a plan on how to rescue Nahida from the grasp of the Akademiya's Sages.

Alhaitham explains that they wouldn't be using them yet, but asks the Traveler to remind themselves of their conviction. As they wear the headset, Alhaitham asks them to simulate the successful rescue of Kusanali and that Sumeru's political landscape has changed.

The next day, the Traveler meets up with Alhaitham outside the Akademiya and asks for a rundown of the plan again.

Alhaitham states that they'll be infiltrating Azar's office to access his console, as there should be a way to free Kusanali from the Sanctuary of Surasthana.

However, Azar intercepts them, having been informed by an eyewitness.

Paimon: What's this platform for?

Alhaitham: It's a lift that Akademiya personnel use to access higher floors.

Paimon: Are we gonna take it, then? The Grand Sage's office is up there somewhere.

Alhaitham: No, not right now. We can't guarantee that we won't run into the Grand Sage. Let's step back and observe for now.

Paimon: You think the Grand Sage will exit from there? And after he does, we'd sneak past him...? Paimon thinks that's really dangerous...

Alhaitham: Who knows. However, if we can confirm Azar's current location, our operation will be much safer if we...

???: ...Allow me to offer you a hint. If you wish to know his location, look behind you.

Aether: !?

Adam: Busted...

Paimon: Aah, y—you're... What's Grand Sage Azar doing here!?

Azar: Do not tell me you believed the Akademiya would not grow suspicious of you after such a prolonged absence... Scribe.

Alhaitham: Hmph...

Azar: An eyewitness had informed me of your whereabouts, so I came to personally welcome you.

Alhaitham: Grand Sage, I didn't expect you to care so much about me. I'm truly flattered.

Azar: I'm sure, but compared to you, I am far more interested in these three unexpected guests. You are... the Traveler and his ever trusted bodyguard the Renowned Mercenary... Flames of Corruption and beside is Paimon, correct?

Adam: Tsk. Well someone did they're homework...

Azar: It's a pity that only now have I been afforded the opportunity to formally meet two of Sumeru's most esteemed guests. I do apologize for my lack of decorum.

Aether: Let's talk. It's not too late for you to stop.

Azar: Excellent, you immediately initiated discussion instead of attempting to prepare some perfunctory excuse. You clearly understand the situation at hand and have no intention of making a reckless stand.

Azar: The foot traffic here renders this place unsuitable for discussion. Please, follow me to my office.

The Traveler and company are brought upstairs

The Traveler warns him of the Fatui's motives, but he pays no attention to it, being interested only in their new god.

Alhaitham gives him information on the Traveler, leading the two to believe he had betrayed them.

However, Azar calls Alhaitham out on his own plan. In an apparent fit of rage, Alhaitham drops the Divine Knowledge Capsule and lunges at Azar, but misses, although he knocks something over before the guards apprehend him.