Chapter 30: Love and Thunder

3rd Person P.O.V

Last time...

Ei then remembers that Yae had always talked to her about her business and asks the Mercenary to take her there.

Kuroda is surprised to see the Shogun and initially believes that she is checking up on the business permits, only to learn that she just wishes to read some novels.

Upon arriving at Yae Publishing House.

Kuroda: Sh-Shogun?

Kuroda: Almighty Shogun, what brings you to the Yae Publishing House? Do you have instructions for us?

Ei: No, not at all. Don't be so nervous, I'm just here to look around.

Kuroda: Apologies, I still don't quite understand. Are you here to look into the management, or publishing regulations, or... fire safety measures?

Adam: She just wants to browse your books.

He is worried they don't have anything for her tastes, but Ei states that there aren't any worries about it.

Kuroda: The Almighty Shogun wishes to... read light novels?

Ei: Yes. Any recommendations?

Kuroda: Um... the Yae Publishing House's novels are mostly targeted at the general public, and the content is all kinds of strange... I'm not sure we have anything quite to the Almighty Shogun's taste...

Ei: I'm just here to try something new. There's no fun in reading the same kind of thing over and over again. Relax, it's just words on a page, isn't it? What could I misunderstand, really?

Kuroda: In principle, you're absolutely right, it's just...

Adam: Don't be nervous. The Almighty Shogun just wants to have a look.

Kuroda: Well, okay then. Please proceed to the bookshelf over there. It has all the latest best-sellers.

Kuroda: There are some winning entries from the "This Novel Is Amazing!" competition. I have just finished compiling them into a saleable form.

Kuroda: Um. Don't take them too seriously. It's all just a bit of fun.

Ei: Okay. Let's go then. Huh... How can this be? Did I underestimate the caliber of this material?

Ei: I know every individual word in these books' titles. So why is it that they make no sense to me in these particular combinations?

Ei: Take this one for example: "The Good Thing About Being Reincarnated as a Hilichurl Is That I Only Need to Eat Sunsettias to Become Stronger"...

Ei: It's so long... Is it true that hilichurls grow stronger from eating Sunsettias? Surely it should be some sort of meat, at least?

Adam: It's just a narrative device.

Ei: "Narrative device"?

Adam: It's whatever the author wants it to be.

Ei: So it's... made up? What's the point of that?

Ei: Also, I'm fairly certain that hilichurls can't write stories. So does this author claim to be documenting hilichurl life from an outside perspective, perhaps?

Then Paimon appears out of nowhere again.

Paimon: Paimon's starting to understand Kuroda's reservations right about now...

Adam: Too modern, I guess.

Ei: Alright then. I believe myself to be relatively well-read, but with stories like these, I don't even know where to start...