Chapter 31: To Hear Mortal Hearts

3rd Person P.O.V

Arriving at the base, Ei immediately becomes suspicious at the well-hidden location and suspects Kamaji is in trouble. As they explore, they find ronin inside, surprising Paimon as the base is Tenryou Commission property. Reaching the end, they find Susumu with several guards and Kamaji, surprising both parties.

Ei demands Susumu to explain the secrecy and hiring of ronin, who claims it was for security purposes. Kamaji states that Susumu was trying to force a confession out of him labeling the crimes of the Kujou Clan, which he acknowledges as true, but to also claim that the Takatsukasa Clan had fought against the injustices.

Ei states that she gave the role of the Tenryou Commissioner based on who could beat her in a duel, which the founder of the Kujou Clan had done, and that if the Takatsukasa Clan wished to replace them, they would need to duel her.

Susumu refuses to out of fear along with his retainers, which Ei notes as hypocrisy as Susumu was eagerly talking about giving up his life for the Shogun. Kamaji challenges her to a duel, knowing that while he is outmatched, he wishes to atone for his father's misconduct.

Adam: Hey, you do know that's suicide...

Kujou Kamaji: I realize that. I don't stand a chance of winning against her anyway. I know full well that the mistakes my father made ought to spell the end of the Kujou Clan's legacy in the Tenryou Commission...

Kujou Kamaji: Even when I was executing the Vision Hunt Decree, I had my doubts about my father's decisions. I knew that what I was doing was wrong. But that was as far as I went. I doubted, and I ruminated. I understood the situation perfectly well, but I took no action, and I didn't save a single person.

Kujou Kamaji: I accept the Kujou Clan's decline as punishment for my deeds. I can't even say that I failed to prevent it... because in order to fail, you have to have at least tried.

Adam: ....

Ei: To be brutally honest... for someone of your strength, there is nothing you could have done even if you had tried.

Kujou Kamaji: Yes... I'm too weak. My father ignores me, my elder brother can't help me, and I even need Ippei to set me straight at times... It's the way it's always been... But if nothing else, then right here, right now, in the Kujou Clan's final hours, it is I who represent the clan, like my father before me! His duties are now mine to perform!

Kujou Kamaji: Just as the Shogun said, a forefather of mine once showed his will with his sword... Then please, let me, Kujou Kamaji, end the story of the Kujou Clan in the same way that it began!

Kujou Kamaji: This is my last chance to do something!

Ei: This is patently meaningless. But I accept. Come forward.

She also notes that while Kamaji is not a great heir, he still retains part of the Kujou traits she remembered - honor. While she is still intent on punishing them, she decides to give them additional time.

Ei: Kujou Kamaji is wounded. Descendants of the Takatsukasa Clan, it is your responsibility to take care of him.

Ei: You may not have the courage to challenge me, but I trust that you are capable of attending to a small matter such as this.

Takatsukasa Susumu: Yes, of course. I apologize... I'm sorry. So, so sorry.

Ei: I had heard that the Kujou Clan is no longer fit to shoulder the work of the Tenryou Commission. The search for a successor to the role of Tenryou Commissioner is indeed a matter of great urgency...