CHAPTER - HAITAO

Piles of clothes and my favourite books lying on the old, cracked pavement while the owner of the apartment was yelling profanities at a certain someone

Piles of clothes and my favourite books lying on the old, cracked pavement while the owner of the apartment was yelling profanities at a certain someone. After 10 hours of typing and submitting my editorial to the manager, I was soon fired because apparently there were too many editors in the department. I tried to convince them to give me one more month at this job as I was quite short of money in my hand. Now, I can't even afford to stay at the cheapest place.

"Get out of my property !!" The owner shut the door and the apartment almost shook, reminding me how old that was and one small earthquake was enough for it to collapse. I sighed and picked up my suitcase and put all my stuff in it. There's no point in persuading the owner. I remember asking to give me a few weeks to be able to pay the rent and the owner was too oblivious to understand my financial position.

I absolutely hate how my life's going right now. it's almost as if someone is trying to make me leave this bloody city when all I have is a suitcase and a few books. I just hope I will get a new job somewhere. Walking cluelessly on these dangerous streets is something nobody should do. I live in a city where people don't hesitate to look out if someone is dying in their parking space. They would rather fuss about how they have to clean all the blood. That's how this town is messed up. Long back, this city was filled with people who were just as lost as I am right now. The environment was lively and everyone looked forward to earning their livelihood. I remember the children with their happy smiles and mischievous eyes as they try to pull pranks on their friends. There wasn't much dullness in the world back then and now it's impossible to find the good in this city.

Lost in my thoughts and planning how to get a job, a neon light fell on my face and I looked up to see the name of the shop. It wasn't just a shop; it was a Thai restaurant. I looked at my watch and I calculated the value it would be if I sold it. This can give me a decent amount of money to eat something.

The aroma of delicious Thai food surrounds me as I enter the restaurant. The interior was quite traditional and even during the midnight, it was still crowded. After today's events, I was tired and hungry. I didn't care much about the stares that I got as I was searching for an empty seat with my suitcase. The chef was right in front of me and as soon as I chose some random dish, he quirked his eyebrows at me as if he was surprised.

"You're not from around this neighbourhood." It was a statement as if he knew that I didn't come from this neighbourhood and he noticed my shabby suitcase and my clothes which were not in their best condition.

I chuckled nervously and said "Yeah, I came from 10 miles away as there was something important that I have to attend." He shook his head and went back to his work. After I ate some food, I took my watch out to give it to him.

I politely asked him "Excuse me, I have come a long way and you have made delicious food which I'm thankful for. I have no money to pay but all I have is this watch which is valuable enough for the food I had." I didn't dare look up at him. The one thing I noticed about him is that he is very intimidating. He looked young and in his early thirties. His eyes were stone cold and I never saw a smile on his face even when he was serving the food to the customers.

Something about him just told me to stay away from.
He kept staring at me with an unknown glint in his eyes which was not a good sign. He took the watch from my hand and examined it for a while.
"So, you're short of money. I can accept this watch but don't expect other people to listen to you. I can help you out. What if I tell you something that might help you get some money and I know how your life's going right now." He clearly was judging me by looking at my clothes and I know that he knows that I didn't come from far away which made me frightened.

I nodded as if I was interested but I know better not to trust these people. I was already in such a mess and going along with this guy was an invitation to hell.

He secretly took out a card from his pocket and put it into my hand. As if I wasn't uncomfortable, he leaned in and whispered so that nobody else would listen.

"Take this card to the place and make a deal with the master. He will give you fortune but you must keep this secret and if you won't, there will be people watching your every move from now on. Do the simple tasks and you will get your reward." Even those words didn't affect me, his eyes did. He knows about me. He's wrong if he thinks I will accept this.

I shook my head and backed away. Putting his card on the table, I turned away and tried to walk out of the restaurant when he stopped me and placed some cash in my hand. Surprised would be an understatement, I gasped and my widened eyes amused him.

"No, I don't want money, in fact I'm fine. You're getting it wrong. Well, it was nice meeting you sir, but I must go." I gave back his money and this time he grabbed my wrist, and now I didn't want to hesitate smashing a bottle on his head. But his concerned gaze caught me off guard. Why would he, who doesn't even know me, show such concern about me?
Before he could say anything, someone in the back called out to him.

"Haitao, your wife is here." As he looked back and walked away, I hurriedly walked out of the restaurant. I took a few deep breaths to calm my racing heart. My arm was already numb from carrying this suitcase. I walked in the darkness, hoping to find a job, hoping that everything will be alright
.............................................................
Thank you for reading.