CHAPTER - ZACH

What if I turn back right now? nobody would see me anyway

What if I turn back right now? nobody would see me anyway. What if this is the day I die? Oh, dear lord, this alley is giving me negative vibes. I regret not having a phone right now. as I walked further down the path, everything was just quiet except my footsteps and my harsh breathing.

I thought this alley would lead me to a dangerous place but all I see is chattering, people cheering for the bike riders. This is illegal but it's certainly not that dangerous, even teenagers come here to watch the match and cheer. My perplexed state has already gained attention from people. Their tattoos and the knives they failed to hide in plain sight confirmed my fear. They are the Scorpion gang and it slightly relieved me when all of them turned away and continued their conversations with each other.

Scorpion gang is known for protecting their neighbourhood from the Vulture gang. They don't kill innocent people unlike the Vulture gang which I pray I don't meet.

As the race was about to start, everything just went dark. I thought everyone would be scared like me but instead they were cheering much louder which meant that this was a normal thing here. But my guts told me otherwise; I didn't feel comfortable. I felt someone watching me from behind and as I turned around. Someone beside me took a hold of my arm and pressed his other hand on my mouth, suppressing my scream. I know it's a guy as his hand was rough and I could see the outline of his physique. I resisted but it was of no use, he was a lot stronger than me.

One thing I hate with a passion is feeling helpless. I don't want to be weak; I want to be strong and be dominant. He pushed me forwards and as I put my hands outward to protect myself, my whole body collided with a metal door. The door was unlocked and I stumbled hard on the floor.

I grunted out loud as I got up but I froze when I heard a click. He just locked the door. My trembling hands made their way to the door, banging as loud as I can for anyone to hear but sadly, the loud cheers dominated me and nobody could hear my pleas.

'There must be something here to help me get out of here' I thought as I moved aimlessly. My feet collided with a wooden object. This place reminds me of a small warehouse, almost making me feel claustrophobic.

A sudden creak made my breath hitch. I kept reminding myself that it was nothing and kept touching the random space ahead me to find anything. There were stacked papers but I probably won't even hurt a fly with that. A deep chuckle behind me erupted out of nowhere. I just wanted to get out of here.

"you won't find anything there" a deep voice loudly spoke as I frantically tried to search for something to protect myself.

A sudden flicker of lights made me blind for a few seconds. A dark figure stepped in the light; his features were hidden by his hoodie. He was wearing all black and he was really intimidating. Is he the same person Haitao told me about?

"What is a petty thing like you doing here? Do you realize how much trouble you are in right now?" this time, I didn't let him see fear in my eyes. What the hell does he think about himself? He just called me petty. He was objectifying me and I hate men who see women in that way. My anger somehow amused him and he says,

"I heard that you lend people some money and in return you need them to do you some favours." I said confidently yet my whole body was shivering at the thought of how he might end my life.

"Straight forward, I see, you will get your money but you must not tell this to anyone. I will know if you tell anyone about this and the consequences will not be so good. You don't want your family to die, do you?" I looked at him surprised; how did he know about my family? Then I realized I'm not talking to an ordinary man; he pretty much can control anything he wants.

My shocked state further made him smile. Not a beautiful one but an evil one which made chills run down my spine. He took a step closer to me and I wanted to back away so badly but I can't show my vulnerability to him.

"Come to this same place at 2 am sharp tomorrow. You have got some work to do. The money will be sent to you and obey my orders and rules, you may get out of this alive."

I nodded, he put his hand forward for a hand shake and as I shook his hand, there was a scar running down to his wrist and his palm was half burnt. There was just this one question that bugged me.

"How'd you know I would come here?"

I anticipated his answer but it never came. Before he could leave, he was stepping back when my breath got heavy and I was seeing two of him. My legs gave away the little strength they had and I fell on the ground. Darkness greeted me but before i could lose my sense of hearing, I heard him say,

"She is unconscious; make sure she doesn't tell this to anyone. There are people from the Vulture gang following her and it might be dangerous for us to play this safe game. Watch her every move, Zach."

Zach? As in Zach, my little brother? If this turns out to be true then who is my family?
.............................................................
Thank you for reading.
Don't forget to vote and share.