CHAPTER - FERGUS

For the last half an hour, I sat idly, watching the cash lying on the table

For the last half an hour, I sat idly, watching the cash lying on the table. It feels like I'm in prison and these people come in to give something just like how guards do at the prison. What's the point of doing all this when no matter what I do, there are just no clues to find my parents; It's been so long since I saw them. Gathering my last hopes, I took the cash in front of me and hid it in a book. It's been a long day and I haven't had a bit of sleep since everything happened. Sleeping would be the best idea right now; I go up to the bedroom and after tossing around, I finally slept.

CLANG!

Not being dramatic but I know there is someone in the hall. I heard some footsteps for a while and then everything just went quiet. It was too quiet. I went near the door and tried to eavesdrop but I couldn't hear anything at all. Maybe they have another job for me to do? I tiptoed all the way to the living room, expecting some of the gang's men to be here but I was met with darkness and only a dim light at the corner and a shadow of the lamp on the wall. If it wasn't for that light, I wouldn't have noticed his shadow. There he was, sitting on the couch like he owned this place and smoking with his eyes trained on me.

This time, it was different for some reason. I didn't feel scared or intimidated but I felt the cold anger rising in me. My glare finally made him sigh and get up from the couch. The one thing I was proud of myself is that I could tell he was surprised that I didn't scream at the top of my lungs and faint like usual people do which surprised me too. He was probably more shocked by how I recognised him in the dark. His scarred hand was something I could recognise anywhere. Déjà vu hit me as I remember what happened on that horrible night. It was him who drugged me and brought me to hell.

The only difference is that I couldn't see his face last time I met him but now his signature smirk, a scar near his left eye and a vulture brooch on his blazer. His attire screamed power yet it didn't affect me.

As he took his time to walk towards me, I put the sharp end of the paper clip outwards in my palm behind me. I was prepared to strike him if he decides to harm me tonight. When he finally came into sight, I could see the hatred in his eyes but for what? On my guard, I asked with monotone,

"What do you want?" I wanted to end this conversation soon and kick him out but unfortunately, luck was not on my side and I couldn't kick him out of his place. He observed every detail of my posture and he didn't even try to hide his emotions for the fact that I can read him well.

"And here I thought, you wanted to get out of this deal. I came here to check upon my spy and see whether she's feeling at home." I scoffed at the last sentence he uttered. He was mocking me but that didn't stop me from saying,

"Oh, treating me like a prisoner in the house of a missing person, who was probably killed by you. People thought they died in an accident during a stormy night but you killed them and of course, the police are under your control too." His eyes twitched with annoyance and I cannot play safe anymore. Everything is just testing my patience right now. My parents, my brother and my life were just slowly ending that little faith I had in myself. To think about the current situation, I was furious how he could keep me trapped in here without any consent.

"Mind your words when you're talking to me, otherwise the next time you see me, you won't be able to even beg for mercy. You're stupid if you think your plan is going to work with that useless metal in your hand. I thought you were smarter than that." The edge in his tone was evident and he was controlling his beast to just not kill me right now but I hardly cared about it.

"Then don't you dare speak as if you own me. I don't owe you anything but your orders in exchange for some money. I will be out of your life when I get enough money and you won't find me even if I was standing in the same room as you are. I'm not your little spy. I am just an ordinary typewriter for a newspaper." My voice shook with frustration and anger but slowly died down when I realize what he meant, as I whispered,

"Unless you want me to spy on someone...." His smirk confirmed my doubt and I was dumb enough to not notice a file in his left hand. He hands it over to me and I don't hesitate to open it. The file had details of a young man and he looked pretty decent and had no criminal records which meant he just gave me my second task. I have to spy on an innocent man who probably doesn't even know the other side of this world.

"The details are in there and don't mess it up." He turns away and walks to the exit door but not before he took hardly ten steps, he says,

"There is a little catch in the end and if you manage to impress me with your skills, then I might give you something more than what you asked for"

As he opens the door, I call out his name and ask "When do I have to start?"

This time, I was shaken to the core when he utters "You can start from tomorrow and just a correction, Alonso is long dead, I'm sure you know who Fergus is."

The man whom I thought was Alonso, is Fergus. The Scottish man whose death was celebrated. His personal life is unknown to everyone and nobody knows his last name. I just signed my death certificate by having a deal with him. If Fergus killed Alonso, then he is the leader of the Vulture gang.

As I thought this couldn't have been more confusing, it proved me wrong.

.............................................................................................................

Thank you for reading. Don't forget to vote and share.