CHAPTER - THE MISSION

The next day, everybody was tense and I had one more thing to worry about

The next day, everybody was tense and I had one more thing to worry about. It was confronting Carl, even though his mother didn't take good care of him, he still cares about her and he doesn't know the whole truth.

Clara was now looking at her phone to receive a message any moment now. Nobody moved or even took a single breath at the last minute. Even though the living room was vast, it felt like we were strangled with something heavy on our chests. Suddenly, her phone pings loudly and she reads with a neutral expression lingering on her face.

"Hayley is going to a private night club tonight, and my sources tell that she will be taking someone with her. fortunately, she is going to Haitao's restaurant which proves our facts. he is running a whole new business behind that restaurant. All the deals are done in that place."

"Clara, Ronnie will come with you to assist in this mission. you will get that briefcase without causing any chaos. they may not know who you guys are but they will doubt you and me figure out what's going on."

"But what's in that briefcase that's so important to you?"

"Lone wolf told me it was some drug that my father created and if Remy gets her hands on it then no one can imagine what she will do with that. She's a snake and we can't let her take more poison to destroy us."

Clara nodded at him and I found myself nodding with her. Morris and Theo were looking after Carl while Elias disappeared with the lone wolf gang which made me confused. why would he leave with them? maybe he had gone out to do his work.

"Ronnie, are you here?" His voice made me look at him and I realized that I got into overthinking so much that I didn't even hear him calling me.

"Yes, What were you saying?'' I asked while dismissing his concerned eyes at me. I slightly smiled at both of them to make this room less suffocating.

"I said, you will get that briefcase before 10 pm."

"Why?" I tilt my head in confusion and wondered why he would say that. he replies,

"Right after you come out of that club, I'm going to demolish the whole restaurant and the whole police is going to be there. so when i reach there, you guys will run away with the briefcase and come straight to headquarters."

"Be careful, I have a feeling that something else is hidden in that place and we don't know when the twisted turns come." Fergus quietly mutters and I couldn't feel more uncomfortable about this.

First of all, I am nowhere qualified to defend myself and somehow help get that briefcase and second, if somebody recognises me and Clara, then we are never getting out of that place. The lone wolf gang did say that they wouldn't find us out because of the masks that we will be wearing but there is always something that will go wrong.

"what about that kid? what are you going to do to him?" my heart dropped when Clara asked fergus. I know he won't bring any harm to Carl but my protective instincts kick in when they mention him. there was this immense guilt in me that I had exposed him to people. Before me, nobody knew him except Sylvie and now that Fergus knows about him, I just didn't want him to do the wrong thing based on the history he had with Sylvie.

"He will be here with Ronnie till the end of the war. it's all up to Ronnie as she was the one who is close to him." he glances at me and there was something warm about his way of telling. A soft smile appeared on his face for a moment and I knew that if I kept glancing at him, I might forget that I had a mission to complete and not to forget, Clara was busy ogling her eyes at me and Fergus.

"Ron." I turned back to the voice that called me out. unknowingly, a full blown smile appeared on my face when I saw the little angel coming down the stairs with Theo.

It absolutely was a shock that Carl loved to meet new people and he can be comfortable with anyone. When Theo let him down on the floor , Carl walked towards me and tugged my baggy pants.

I crouched down to his level and he quietly asks while making sure nobody hears him but I'm sure everybody could hear him just fine.

"Can I stay here for two more days? I don't want to see my mom drinking the juice again." And just like that, my smile went away and I closed my eyes momentarily to not feel his pain.

I nodded and smiled to show him my approval.

"You can stay here for as long as you want. Don't worry, you're safe here."

his two arms encircle my neck and his little giggle made my heart flutter. Carl pins my hair behind and whispers something unexpected.

"Don't worry sister, I will stay here and I will help you." With that he lets go of me and it shocks me how this kid is way smarter than I am. He might have heard the whole conversation last night. It terrifies me that he is calm even after listening to everything or maybe he was as scared as I was.

......................................................................................................

Thank you for reading. Don't forget to vote and share.