CHAPTER - INDIA AVILES

There she was, standing against the tree and watching children having their best time while playing with their friends and adults relaxing in the park

There she was, standing against the tree and watching children having their best time while playing with their friends and adults relaxing in the park. She didn't seem the odd one here, in fact , she fit in well with others. I knew it was her as she was the only one who wore a red hoodie. The weather was hot and humid so not everyone wears hoodies. The bronze coin was in my hand and from the past few minutes , I have been taking deep breaths to calm myself down and get it over with. Nobody was looking at her or me. The birds chirping and the orange sunset was almost making them unaware of their surroundings. They looked like they were having a peaceful time. Unlike them , I was not enjoying one bit of it.

Taking a few steps towards her, that's when she noticed me and signalled with her hand to stop walking.

I had a frown on my face as I failed to understand the reason behind it. Minutes turned to hours and I couldn't help but yawn. Last night, I couldn't really sleep because of the paranoia. Time was going slowly and I wanted to just go to her and give the coin. But before I could do that, a ball hit me in my shoulder and fell down near my feet. I picked it up and looked for a kid who lost the ball. A tug on my pants was enough for me to look down at a small kid. His grey eyes were the most beautiful eyes I have ever seen and his innocent smile must have melted people's hearts.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hit you with the ball. Can I please take the ball? It's my favourite ball and my friends love the ball too."

I smiled and gave it to him which he took happily and hopped back to his friends with joy. I remember that I have a mission to accomplish which seems dramatic but I don't want to lose my life. As I turned back to see her, she bumped into me, making me fall down on the ground. My back started to hurt a lot while she reached out to me and pulled me up. I felt her fingers touching my palm and the cold metal was no longer with me.

"Are you okay? I was looking for my baby sister when I suddenly bumped into you. Are you hurt?"

The fake concern was so clear in her tone. I didn't like her touching me. I moved away from her discreetly. I want to stay away from danger and that's what I'm going to do. I quickly turned around and walked hastily but what was weird is that she didn't even call out to me. She was nowhere when I turned my head slightly. If she was following, she knew what she was doing. She could have asked me to give or I could have given her the coin in the easiest possible way. The way she was acting, it meant that someone else was keeping an eye at us. That's when I remember, I thought she was zoning out but she was staring at the bushes. When she was talking to me, I saw how she frantically kept looking at the same spot over and over again.

It's strange how I felt safe in this house but also scared that anyone can barge in and harm me. I know this place isn't safe. There were some shuffling noises outside the house when I was opening the main door. I thank my genes for having the supernatural power of hearing. I wish I could be a supernatural being so that I could be invisible and escape from this hell.

Having not eaten since the morning, I opened my fridge to find something to eat. I expected bread or even some juice but the whole pantry was filled with varieties of food. From fruits to Nutella, you name it and they all looked fresh and safe to eat. I grabbed an apple which seemed like a safe option. I still don't trust that guy in the warehouse. Whenever I think about him, my stomach feels uneasy and almost makes me faint. I wish I don't have any encounters with that guy again. Whoever that was in the dark room, he knew what he was doing to me and part of me felt weak in front of him.

After I finished eating the apple, I wasn't sleepy so I decided to explore the house more. This time, I found another room but this one was different from other rooms. The wooden door was heavily carved and as I opened the door, the room was big. I could say that even before switching the lights on.

Surprise would be understatement if I say what was in front of me when the lights came on. One side of the room had all the files and papers flying around but what stopped from walking in there was a portrait. A portrait of four people, the red hoodie girl was one of them and her sister, which I assume, was smiling and hugging the red hoodie girl.

India Aviles, the missing report which became a cold case and it had been seven years since she disappeared into thin air. No evidence, no suspects and no witnesses, it all seemed like a nightmare. The question is what am I doing in their house. walking near the portrait, I noticed dust on everything which meant nobody came here for a long time.

Those files looked normal and they were about transfer of money. It was a big sum of money that was transferred from one account to another. My hand stopped flipping the pages when I saw the word "Griffith" and saw my mother and father's profiles. Will this be a breakthrough for me? I have this little hope and I wish I could find them sooner.

Their profiles and their data of birth and it showed that someone transferred money to them for months before it all stopped. This isn't enough information; I go through every file possible to find some information about my family. Just one clue but unfortunately I couldn't find anything new. With my frustration and stress, I threw the last file away and wondered if I would ever get out of this puzzle of my life.

...............................................................................................................................................................

Thank you for reading. Don't forget to vote and share.