CHAPTER - VINCENT

"What about Zach?" I asked him with a little hope if he was alive

"What about Zach?" I asked him with a little hope if he was alive. Fergus shrugs and sighs, for some reason I couldn't see him like this. He looks beaten down and I believe whoever he is today, people have done something cruel to him. There is no pure evil in him, after all monsters aren't born, they are made.

"He was forced into the gang and he's maintaining a low profile because of what happened three years ago. It was never supposed to come out but the news spread very quickly and we had to do something. He's alive but I can't promise you that he is still the same. Over the past few months, he changed." He said with his head down, he couldn't look at me anymore. He couldn't look at the tears falling from my eyes.

I took some deep breaths and wiped my tears while walking up to Fergus who was now sitting on the couch. I cleared my throat and said, "I thought you were what people talked about but now I know you are not that person. I wont say that you're good but I wont say you're bad too." He chuckled humourlessly and said nothing.

"I will see my family again, won't I ?" I asked him with glistening eyes but he didn't answer and I didn't push it either. We sat in silence and for the first time, it felt so peaceful, I took a seat next to him and watched the sun rise as it kept reflecting its colour on the windows. This house didn't feel so strange anymore, I could get used to it.

"This necklace, it has a location of the wooden box. The necklace belonged to someone I knew. It's kept somewhere safe but I'm afraid it's not the only thing I need. There is a wooden box somewhere and I need it at any cost. But this time, I want you to keep an eye on someone. I just want you to distract him at all costs because he will be after that box like every other mafia gang would." His eyes told me that he was scared for some reason but his voice was telling me otherwise.

I nodded and asked, "is he the one in the file you gave me that day?"

"Yes , although I must warn you, something about him is wrong and I need you to be on guard at all times. I will be listening to your every word so if you're in danger or you think you're in danger, just trigger this object and in no time, I will be there." He hands me a small object with a pointy edge. It looked like a pen but it had a wing in the end.

It feels nice that somebody cares about my safety but I must remember that it is just for the mission. I'm not sure if I will get out of this mess alive. I smiled at his gesture and kept the object in my pocket.

"I'm sorry that you had to go through such pain. I can't imagine how it is to lose your family." I remember what Fergus said at the hotel. He has a past that he can't escape from. The only person he treated like family, betrayed him.

"It's better if you don't imagine it at all." He replies in an almost trembling voice. I didn't say anything after that but he was struggling to say something.

"Oh what is it already?" I asked him impatiently.

"what are you talking about?" his fingers were fiddling and his legs were shaking. It took me everything to not laugh at him. He looked like he was angry with something.

"Just forget it." He gets up and walks out of the room. I smile at how shy he got. He's not a bad guy after all. A sudden bling made me grab my phone and I saw a text.

A text from Fergus saying, "keep your head above the waters." . He inserted his phone number before giving the phone to me. Fergus knew that I wasn't feeling okay after the conversation and I'm really glad that he could see through me. I expected it but there was also another phone number in my mind .

Without any second thought, I save Elias' contact and decide to call him. Few rings later, he picks up.

"Hello? Who is this?" a stranger's voice comes through but this was Elias' phone. The last time I talked to him, it was through this number. I heard some struggling noises and a few seconds later , a familiar voice called out my name.

"Elias? Where are you? Are you safe?" I couldn't help but feel concern for him. Even though we weren't on great terms , he is still my friend.

"Yeah, I'm safe. I'm at my friend's house and we are staying low somewhere. Don't worry, ron. Everything is being taken care of."

"Who is your friend? Is he in danger too?" I asked him with curiosity , but somehow I didn't really believe him. The sounds of metal were too loud to not notice.

"Theo is the guy I told you about. He's a nice guy and he is not in danger. He is just helping me here to stay safe."

"I don't know what things you are hiding from me but I trust you. I know you won't do any bad thing even though i just saw you kill someone but that was because he tried to kill you. When we meet after this mess, we will have a talk about you." I say , trying hard to not be vulnerable while he was listening to me intently.

We didn't need words to understand what we were feeling. Right now, I just knew that he needed someone on his side and not feel alone which I am currently feeling. Emotions can crumble you into dust but can build you stronger from within for whatever reason you're fighting for. In my case, it was crumbling me and crushing me.

......................................................................................

Thank you for reading. Don't forget to vote and share.