CHAPTER - HAYLEY MARSHAL

To tell you something, my life wasn’t always like this

To tell you something, my life wasn’t always like this. I was an average student at college and back then, I was indulged in pursuing literature and arts. Literature is something that always fascinated me and writing has always been my passion. But after that incident, everything changed. My family disappeared three years ago.

I remember that night when I had just arrived and went to surprise my family. I wanted them to welcome me with their warm hearts but was met with coldness at home. I waited for them for such a long time when I realized that something was wrong. Calling the police was the right thing to do at that time but if I had known that they were a bunch of lazy people, I would have opened up my own investigation.

Truth to be told, my relationship with my family wasn’t that great but I love them and they mean a lot to me.

After a few weeks, there were no suspects and no evidence as everything was in order. It looked as if they were on vacation. The only thing that made me believe that they were in danger was that their cell phones were on the table in the hall. When no one was helping me much, everything came crashing down when I learnt the truth. The truth of this town, and the citizens living here. The good were being bribed by the bad. It was evident but for the 17-year-old me was something that opened my eyes for the first time.

I am still hoping that I will find my parents again. I wonder if they are okay. My eyes and my heart were heavy as a giant rock. I was beyond exhausted and I just walked for a mile. The place looks like a desert and I might have to walk a little further to search for a workplace. It was early morning when I decided to stop and sit for a while. My blistered feet weren’t helping much. I stood up and prepared myself for the worst as I entered unknown territory. But it wasn’t as scary as it sounds.

My cold and shivering hands were in my pockets when I felt a paper like material. Curious, I took it out to see that it was the WAD OF CASH that I rejected earlier and a card was placed on top of it secured with a band. I remember putting it back then how is it here?

How is this possible? Suddenly, everything around me didn’t feel safe and I could hear some rustling noises behind me. I couldn’t look back; my heart was not letting me to be curious this time and I started walking to find a crowd or just a neighbourhood. Soon, I found a place where people were jogging or going to their work early. Feeling determined, I prepared myself to be confident and get a job.

I know I can’t turn back now. The money and the card didn’t leave my mind and it's even worse because I swear there are some people looking at me in a weird way, which might be nothing but I can’t help but be paranoid. I wish I had some friends right now or someone I could count on. Dreading and feeling fatigue, my body felt weak but someone held me and I could tell it was a woman by her gentle touch. My vision was blurry and the voices were muffled which made me panic a little bit.

Oblivious to what was happening around me, I let the woman find a place for me to sit. She helped me drink some water and after a while, I could clearly see her. Her round face with foxy eyes and auburn curls which went up to her shoulders. She was basically a model and here I was, probably looking like a dead seal.

“Thank you so much for helping me out.” I gratefully thanked her while she just smiled. She took a look at my stuff and at me. Noticing my dirty jeans and old grey sweatshirt, she almost grimaced. Even though this town doesn’t care about education, the people sure do care about fashion. My old-fashioned clothes were nothing compared to her high waisted sea green jeans with a white stylish crop top.

“You look like a mess. Is everything alright?” I almost laughed when she said I looked like a mess, my whole life is a mess right now. I nodded and held my throbbing head with my hands.

We just sat on a bench while watching people come and go for minutes. She was the one who talked the most while I was focusing on feeling better. I felt guilty that she was patiently helping me which normally not a lot of people do. I kindly asked her name and she excitedly said,
“Harley Marshal, it is getting a little hot, don’t you think?” she asked with a hopeful expression.

Her whole aura was almost too much for me, she was intimidating me and even though she was smiling, her words had some kind of negativity, she is too sweet. I don’t even know her but maybe she’s just a nice person and I might be thinking too much. I nodded and it was soon time to go but she was insisting me to stay. I politely said,

“I think I should go, it was nice meeting you and thank you again for helping me. I feel a lot better now. I have come here in search of a job and if I don’t go now, I will be late to return to my home.” The last thing I said was a lie but I still don’t trust her. What if she stalks me all the way to wherever I go? I stood up and smiled one last time at her. I put my hand forward to shake her hand, instead she pulled me in for a hug. Never have I felt more uncomfortable than this position I’m in right now. We bid our goodbyes.

As I was walking away with my baggage, she loudly asked for me to hear “I forgot to ask something, what’s your name?”
I yelled “Ronnie Griffith” something caught my eyes when she was walking away in the opposite direction. There was something shining silver in her pocket of the jeans. But this was not the time to be Sherlock Holmes, I am basically homeless right now. I exhaled and walked into a new shop nearby, hopefully the owner is a nice person.

.............................................................
Thank you for reading.
Don't forget to vote and share.