CHAPTER - DR. GRIFFITH

A hospital shouldn't be quiet, it should be raging with voices colliding with each other, creating chaos and melancholy is what binds us here but that is not the case

A hospital shouldn't be quiet, it should be raging with voices colliding with each other, creating chaos and melancholy is what binds us here but that is not the case. It took hours to come to the hospital and it hasn't changed much. This hospital was much far away from my town and they never bothered to even ask me how I was doing but they shut me out when I wanted to know the truth. I still want to know the truth and I never gave up on them but deep down, I know they are in a huge mess and I don't know if they are still breathing. I try to ignore the tightness in my chest while I walk in the familiar corridors.

It was too quiet and only a few nurses here and there could be seen walking along with the patients sitting in a wheelchair. Fergus and his guy whom I came to know is Morris walked beside me. If what Vincent said is becoming the truth then have I judged Fergus wrongly? And my parents, are they really innocent? It's really hard to distinguish shades of gray. It's not black or white. The truth is always complicated and sometimes it lies in those fabricated lies and we just can't see it.

"Morris, take the left and Ronnie and I are going to take the right. We will meet again right here and search every corner. If you find any potential threat, terminate them. You know the rules." Morris nodded at his command and turned around to walk the other way. While we took our turn, I broke the silence which was looming over us and asked him, "Why would you trust Vincent when you said that he was a manipulative guy and switches sides however he wants?"

"I don't trust him, I'm just following my intuition and I have a feeling that this hospital is too quiet to keep a secret for too long, don't you think?" I looked at him with confusion clouding over my thoughts. This man is a puzzle and even though he knew something was up , he's willing to take the risk and follow the path.

Dr. Griffith  

Our footsteps halted in front of the room that my dad and my mom used to work in and I remember coming here as a kid when I was sick. I would run to this room to meet my dad. Never knew I had to think maturely and stop behaving childish in front of them. Their emotions were completely shut off and never bothered to show me what love and affection is. As a sensitive kid I was, things were just tough to deal with my family but I still loved them till the end.

"Why haven't they taken out the name tag on the door?" I muttered and Fergus chuckled while clearing his throat.

"Your father was one of the best doctors in this hospital and to honor him, they decided to leave this room and not let anyone else claim this room." there it is again, the dark glint in his eyes suggested that he meant something else. Before I could ask him what he meant by that, he opened the door which was surprisingly unlocked.

Memories flooded in and time was slowing down around me. Every fiber, picture, even the potted plants reminded me of them and a normal life that I had which was stripped away in a second. I notice Fergus shuffling around which makes me annoyed when I realize why we were here in the first place.

"Seriously? My dad would never be a part of this. We enter the hospital and here we are in my dad's workspace. Even if my dad knew something about it, then he would get rid of it. It's basically a threat to anyone who has it. We won't find anything here. let's go and search somewhere else." My annoyance was just the lie that I was scared. I was still not ready to relive all of this again.

Fergus doesn't listen to me and shoots me a death glare. He continues to throw the stuff on the floor while he rummages through the drawers of the cabinet. I sigh and take a look at the wall behind him when something peculiar catches my eye.

I walk towards it accidently brushing his shoulder, irritating him even more. Fergus was cursing how I was supposed to help him find the wooden box but all I'm doing is wasting his time but I didn't pay any attention while I take in what's in front of me now.

The board which has a riddle on it along with a couple of to-do lists and some photos of places. The same riddle I have always heard him saying and he said it was his favourite riddle of all time.

"YOU SHALL SEE THE TREASURE THROUGH THE EYES OF TRUTH."

Eyes of truth? could it mean that he was talking about that ivory statue? I glanced around to look at some kind of statue and there it was, across the room, an ivory statue stood alone with two potted plants which were dead. Fergus stops what he's doing and comes over to me.

"What does it mean?" I'm sure he wasn't asking me; he was thinking out loud like me. He followed me and stood close to me while observing the small statue of a kid smiling. A pretty statue carrying a secret is highly impossible but what if it is right here? I lift up the statue and read the little words written right underneath her feet. The word 'soil' was enough for me to grab one of the plants and dig the soil.

It didn't take long enough to find a key. A key for what? A loud bang and shouts outside the room was enough for us to hide behind the cabinet. They were right outside the room. déjà vu hit me like a bucket of cold water and I was so not ready to witness another massacre.
.............................................................
Thank you for reading. Don't forget to vote and share.