CHAPTER - THE CLOCK

Rhythmic tapping on the wood was echoing through the whole room

Rhythmic tapping on the wood was echoing through the whole room. Theo was now working on the clock. He has been trying to open the protective glass layer on top of it but nothing was working. The tools were lying on the table.

"Would you stop doing that? I'm trying to focus here." Theo speaks with annoyance lingering in his tone while Morris gets over his astonishment and takes out his gun.

"Dare to say it again." As seconds pass by, his stare becomes harsh and Fergus doesn't notice, he is still thinking. There is an urge in me to know what he really is thinking about. Fergus doesn't tell what goes on with him and he surely doesn't trust anyone, even Morris.

I sighed for the umpteenth time and reached out to Morris to let his hand down. I don't dare to touch the gun, it still scares me to hold me a deadly weapon. Even though I had guns in my house because my family thought it would be a good precautionary measure to have weapons at home if something bad happens, I never went near it. Turns out, those weapons never came in use and my family's disappearance was the worst thing that could have happened to me.

"Morris, let him work. Sooner his plan works, sooner we will have the wooden box." Ignoring my thoughts, I say it with caution, trying to not anger him more. He glares at him one more time before letting it go. Theo goes back to his work and this time, he scribbles some kind of combinations on the paper.

The clock looks so much bigger in real life. I remember seeing a similar clock in the newspaper and it looked so small and I'm certain that there was no such thing called a wooden box in it. My dad stole it and helped Haitao put the safe wooden box in there. What was so important in that wooden box that almost everybody is after?

I know whatever is in there will be a key to whatever Fergus wants. The conversation between Hayley and Fergus almost seemed like there was a history between them. Was Hayley a member of his gang?

"GOT IT!!!" Theo shouts with his arms flying around in the air. Fergus jerks and walks up to him to see what he did. He took the scribbled paper and I noticed how his eyes bulged before looking at me. He nods at me and then behind me. Without a word, he walks away from the table and heads out of the room.

I excuse myself and both of the guys fail to notice me leaving as they were quite busy trying to open the glass layer. Once I came out of the room and headed towards the room at the end of the hallway, it was just an ordinary room which looked like it belonged to a teenage girl. The lavender walls and the body products on the dresser reminded me of myself when I was 16.

It would have been a nice walk of memory but the moment I step in, he stops his pace and with his calculative gaze, he asks me,

"How did you know it was the ivory statue that would lead us to the basement?" I was dumbfounded at his question. I try to keep the story short and only give discreet answers.

I took a breath and began, "My father was not an ordinary person, not talking about his fame or the type of job he did. He was just a strange man with strange theories. He would always tell me when I was a kid that a doll represents every one of us. We all are just being played by someone in power. He would always tell me that he was not like us and he knew exactly what this world looks like. He knew the truth of everything."

"My family was never normal. There was just no emotional display and the house would always be quiet and sometimes neighbours would come and check upon us if we're alive." I let out a humourless chuckle, remembering how it really was to live with the people I belonged with but not really belonging to them.

"I remember what my dad said and I just went with my hunch." The room fell silent and Fergus looked down at the floor. No matter how much I try, I end up telling him the truth and I didn't like how I was feeling comfortable with him when I really shouldn't.

"I just want my family back. Even though it's complicated, I still love them." I sighed at the end and turned to go back to the hall but his next words stop me instantly as I hear them.

"The glass shield can only open when all the planets line up at a certain position. Ronnie, it's the day you were born. That's the key."

I was speechless and utterly lost. That only means that my father was indeed working with Haitao and they both were the ones who kept the wooden box safe in that clock. It's clear that Fergus doesn't trust me anymore and it's rightfully so. I wouldn't have even kept myself free in this house if I found that I was somehow connected to all of this.

The loud beeping of a phone cuts the tension in the air. Fergus answers it and I watch as his expression changes from confusion to anger to shock. He lets out a string of curses and puts his phone back while I try to not anger him more.

"What is it?" I ask knowing that anything will happen if we are not careful. My blood runs cold when I hear him yelling and knocking over the bottles at the dresser.

"Vincent has done what he has always been good at. He manipulated David and escaped. He's going to turn my allies into enemies if he wants to."

..........................................................................................

Thank you for reading. Don't forget to vote and share.