CHAPTER - MEETING HIM

Vincent Martin, even though he belongs to the mafia world, all his doings were for a good cause in the past

Vincent Martin, even though he belongs to the mafia world, all his doings were for a good cause in the past. Charity, animal shelters and opened emergency shelters for people are just a grain of what he accomplished in the past seven years. It just seemed that he is too good for this mafia. Fergus ordered me to spy on him but what if he's a closed off person? I just hope Elias doesn't come in between otherwise everything will be in vain.

After the call with Elias, I get to know that his base was destroyed by another gang and their motive was just that. They never wanted to know information; they were here to destroy the other gangs but for what? These people have their own purposes and they are bound to do anything to achieve that and sometimes, they just like to kill people for fun. They are just unpredictable.

Right now, I stare at the bar in front of me with a micro earpiece which was the most uncomfortable thing I have ever put on. I hid my ears with my hair and walked confidently into the crowded place. Fergus was right across the street in a thrift store. Luckily, he wore a normal outfit to blend in with the others. Vincent is one of the most influential people around here just like Fergus.

"You still haven't told me why I have to do this?" I murmur hoping nobody would find me suspicious. Fergus sighs for umpteenth time and grumbles, "I swear to god Ronnie, if you ask me that question one more time, I am this close tearing you apart." Like always, his empty threats don't affect me.

Back to the car ride, I asked him why do I have to do this? He didn't talk to me at all as if he just went back to the way he was at first when I met him. I sit on one of the bar stools and wait for Vincent to show up any time. This is the same bar where Vincent comes everyday to have a drink and no doubt he's going to be here.

"Here he comes, don't blow up the plan." Fergus speaks up and soon enough , a musky scent was evident. The bartender comes towards us and as Vincent tells his order, I beat him and say,

"One French 75 please." That caught his attention. Yes, step one completed. He orders the same and the bartender goes away to get our drinks.

"You're not from here, are you?" he asks and I look at him. He was staring at my dress, my face and at my hands. I thought to keep a poker face but that would be too obvious. It hasn't been twenty minutes and I already hate this place.

"hey, how'd you know that?" he smiles at my enthusiasm and flashes his charming smile. If only that worked but luckily it didn't.

"this bar is pretty famous and it's one of my favourite spots. If you were from this place, then I would have recognised you." He says and that's when I notice a ring on his finger. It was silver and there was a snake twirling around a sword.

"Change of plans, get him to the washroom." Fergus speaks through the earpiece and I was panicking from inside. What if Vincent knows about this already? Even though I was stressed out inside, I kept smiling and remained calm.

We soon say our names to each other which he gets surprised and says "Eliza, what a beautiful name!! what do you do?" he says as I lie about my identity. Eliza was my grandmother's name.

"I'm a student counsellor and recently I took a break from it. Somehow, I ended up in this bar. What are your plans tomorrow?" I put on my warm smile and hopefully he doesn't find anything suspicious. It would be really nice if the bartender would come right now. I can't handle the awkwardness but he's oblivious to the tension in the air or was I the only one who felt it?

I felt cringe whenever I tried to speak like this and the dress suddenly felt uncomfortable because of the way he was staring at me.

"Why do you ask?" he looks at me with curiosity which doesn't help my accelerating heart and sweaty palms.

I giggled and was about to say something but the bartender came back with the drinks. This is the perfect opportunity to spill the drink on him. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see a drunk guy tumbling around people.

We both said cheers and Vincent lifted his glass to drink. In a moment , the drunk guy almost passes by me and Vincent closes his eyes. That's when I jerked forward and spilled the drink on him.

"Shit!!" We both exclaim as I apologize to him while he says he doesn't really mind about it and goes to the washroom.

"Your work is done, you can come back to the car right around the corner." Fergus orders and I listen to him this time , promising myself that I will ask him about the reason why he changed his plan.

Thank god, I had a sip of the drink and it's better if I get out as early as possible. Even though I am an adult now , I have never tried drinking this stuff. It made me realise how much I missed out on life. As I was getting out of the bar, people were dancing and drinking. It made me nauseous and claustrophobic as I pushed them aside to get out.

Walking out would be the best freedom I would get from this place but those similar eyes stopped me in the path and I saw him talking to some people. He looks so different and so big. Has it been that long that he went missing? Emotions were at the peak and this time, I didn't let my mind speak. I changed my mind and went to the table where they were all sitting.

Even though I was older than him, he was always the mature one. He would always look out for me and now I feel that I failed him as a sister. I go up to him and tap his shoulder to make him see me.

"Zach?" his eyes widened when he saw me but I didn't see my brother anymore. He really was someone else.

.........................................................................................

Thank you for reading. Don't forget to vote and share.