CHAPTER - HIS PAIN

Fergus and Morris were now gone and it has been an hour since they left

Fergus and Morris were now gone and it has been an hour since they left. I propped my elbows on the table, watching Theo working on the clock. There was really nothing to do with the clock but the fact that this was a historical moment for both of us to look at such an antique.

"Do you see those planets?" I nod and concentrate at the planets lined up differently and I'm surprised that it is still working.

"They revolve around the sun in the centre and this whole process tells you what time it is and even the season. Right now, it's summer and we are gonna have the summer solstice very soon." Theo speaks with excitation in his tone. He loves what he is doing and I have a feeling that he has always loved astrology.

"how do you know all of this?" I ask as he sets the clock on the table. He takes a moment to answer but he sighs and says, "It wasn't one of my best hobbies but I used to watch the night sky through a telescope. My sister would help me find all the constellations. She was the one who had fascination with space. She loves the stars and blackholes. She would write everything down in a diary about all the things she saw through the telescope." His sad smile was prominent and he was back in his past, remembering her.

Did he miss her? Why was he sad? I felt guilty for bringing it up, there was so much in our plates that even our past cannot be a part of it. If I let everything get to me, I might fall apart. I nodded and gave him a reassuring smile and said,

"After you get your justice, you will see her again." Hopefully, he might cheer up but that doesn't happen. He shrugs and closes the glass while finally putting the clock aside. He then begins to pack all the tools he had brought with himself.

"What does she look like?" I couldn't stop myself asking that question. I really wanted to know what she looked like and if she was that kind of a girl who would have smiled at the world that didn't care once to just notice her. I wondered if she was the girl who didn't care about what others thought and did what she wanted to or if she was a bossy girl and never showed anyone her vulnerable side to anyone except herself.

"She and her red fiery hair would be the first thing you would notice in a room. she always had this big smile even though I knew that she wasn't feeling good that day. My family didn't see her fiery side because they didn't let her but I knew. I knew how sassy she could be or how she would want to risk her life to enjoy that one moment for herself. I remember lying to my mom and dad while she was having her fun riding on the motorcycle I gifted her. I remember how bad my days were, her little courage smiles were enough for me to lift myself up. I remember giving her a moonstone as a form of bracelet and her giggles throughout the day."

"That bracelet meant a lot to her and to me, it was her late best friend's necklace and she would cry about how she broke the necklace. Spending my whole savings on that was worth it. Such a happy soul, she didn't have to suffer, she truly didn't. That heartache truly never goes away when you find your best friend, your sister gone with no trace. There were no belongings left. People think I'm crazy and my sister never really existed. That's when I knew how powerful people can be. They can just rip that little life of yours in seconds right in front of your eyes."

His rage and pain was something I could feel too. I feel it every day and so I know how much pain he was in, knowing that your family is in danger but you're just helpless. His perspective of his sister brought a smile to my face. A genuine one and that reminded me of Zach.

"Elias told me about you. You were the one who helped him." I said while Theo frowns and then slightly smiles apologetically.

"Yeah, I know Elias from a long time and I'm sorry that I didn't tell you because Elias didn't want to worry about him all the time." Theo speaks in a low voice and I shook my head in denial as I didn't mind whatever he said.

I hope Zach is still holding on tight and not losing hope. No matter what, I will get him out of that mess even if it means sacrificing myself. Theo sighs and drops his head into his hands. This was not the life we wished for, we wished for different things. We wished to be normal and look how it turned out for us. The room fell silent and everything seemed gloomy. It was one of the moments when you see the real world around you. Not everything looks perfect or is perfect. Neither our lives nor we were perfect.

The small cracks on the glass of the clock, the wood splinters on the table and the bulb flickering, they all were reminding me of how chaotic my life has become and there is just no peace in the underworld.

Theo finally looks up and glances around him with a quizzical look on his face. I didn't understand him at first but then I heard it too. Those footsteps, it didn't sound like men walking. The clicking on the floor confirmed that it was indeed a female.

We stepped out of that room and headed into the main living room and the first thing I noticed was her scarf. I was wrong to think that not only would I find out my family is connected to the mess I am in but I would also have to see my long lost family too. The same family which I didn't share a bond with. The same family which they were our family only on papers.

Her evil glint eyes and that smirk on her face was enough to tell us that she came here for a purpose. That purpose might include the clock and this time, I was numb to even move to defend myself.

.............................................................................................

Thank you for reading. Don't forget to vote and share.