CHAPTER - THE VEIL

"Take these pills and don't worry, these bruises will be gone in a week

"Take these pills and don't worry, these bruises will be gone in a week." Morris said while applying a cold liniment on my neck. I couldn't move my body with ease. It felt like Sylvie left just a few moments ago. After Theo locked the guy in a room, Fergus and Morris finally came back with their hands coated with blood. Everyone outside this manor was dead. It was Sylvie's doing and Fergus is furious that she caused so much chaos in here.

Theo was downstairs and Morris soon left the room I was in and the only one person who was standing near the doorway, watching me intently while I was squirming with discomfort under his gaze. I hated that I was weak. I hated that he knew I was weak.

"I'm sorry." Those words would have not surprised me but it was Fergus who said it. my head snapped to this direction while he crossed his arms over his chest and leaned against the wall. My questioning gaze on him made him speak up hesitantly.

"I knew she was coming. I wanted her to come here for the clock. But I didn't know she would go this far. I didn't know she was your aunt. The plan that she made was to warn me with an old traditional warning and that is by destroying one of my territories and killing one of my trained assassins. The last time I saw her was a long time and she wasn't powerful enough to destroy me and my empire. But now, I doubt she is playing a double game. There is someone else with her who is helping her to attack easily with force." He said while still maintaining eye contact with me.

"You didn't tell me even though I'm part of this mission. I'm done being a bait in everyone's game. I know you know about my family. If you know anything that I don't know about them, I need you to tell me. I found my brother and now Sylvie here in the mafia underworld. What is going on here?" my voice was now a lot deeper and my throat burned with every word I spoke. I was determined to know what was really going on? I know my family members are no saints but they aren't that evil, are they? Fergus sighs and walks over to my bed and sits at the corner.

"Ronnie, there are things much darker than you think. Your family is not innocent. After I tell you what your family has been hiding then there is no turning back."

I nodded and sat upright to listen carefully to what he had to say. I know they weren't good to me but they would never go beyond the law or that's what I thought. He exhales and runs his hand in his hair, messing it up and that's when I notice how red his eyes were and the dark circles decorating his eyes.

"This territory belonged to my father and I'm not talking about this manor or the guards. This is just a temporary base; you haven't seen the entire empire. In the late 1900's, my father was the one who ruled here. He wasn't the best man I ever knew because he was involved in every illegal deal. Not just drugs but trafficking and assassinating people. He was good at training assassins and soon people feared to even object his opinion in the dealings. Power and greed are enough to destroy the humanity in a person and that's what it did to him. He forgot his own family and treated his power as his oxygen. My mother got fed up with his lies and his manipulations so she left. She left not caring that her son was now in the hands of an evil man. An evil man who would use his son to make the best weapon he ever created to destroy other empires and take over them."

"If only I knew, she wasn't just in her hometown, but buried exactly in the spot where she met her love. She loved my father truly but in the end, he destroyed her and killed her. He told me when I was 17 and all that time, I thought she was just living far away from us. He told me so many lies that I didn't believe in the reality of what was happening in front of me."

"While my father took over this underworld, he made sure to keep his contact with the citizens in the city. He would get every information from them and soon he started to keep his activities silent and no police were good enough to catch him. How would they catch him when he's the one who brought the whole city down to its knees without anyone knowing?" he let out a humourless chuckle and I saw the pain in his eyes and a dark storm swirling in him.

"He never treated me like his son but trained me like a robot who would only listen to his orders and do his dirty work while he enjoyed watching people suffer in front of him, begging him to leave them alive and wailing just to make him notice them but he chose ignorance and did what he always wanted to do. He used them, threw them and targeted new people. As his son, he thought I would turn out like him but I didn't and that only worsened him. He married another woman just for the sake of an heir that he wanted. But he got a daughter of his own and her mother was just like him. My father might have hated me but my sister, nobody noticed her. Nobody cared if she was hurt or if she was alone."

"they didn't even care when she went missing in 2014. They instead gave her a funeral when the people couldn't even find any trace of her. One night, the other mafia leaders joined hands to kill my father and take over this empire. I was the best assassin in the mafia yet I didn't fight when they were killing my father and step mother right in front of me. they deserved a painful death, much more painful than just a bullet in their bodies but that's when I started my plan. The plan involved laying low for a few months and then slowly taking over my father's empire. Here I am, still searching my sister's murderers but this time, I have nothing to lose. I will ruin them." His eyes couldn't have been darker than they already were. The fire in his eyes wasn't going to go away so soon.

"How do you know they killed her when nobody found her?" I asked him while he stared at my face but he wasn't just staring, he was lost in his world. His dark and lonely world. That was behind his fury and agony.

"Because my family knew she was going to die. They knew what was happening but they didn't care because it was not their 'business'."

"Do you know who killed her?" That's when he came back to this world and all the hatred mustered in his eyes scared me. it wasn't towards me but I knew what he was going to say and I wished it wasn't true.

"Your family. Like I said, they're murderers." I felt my heart shatter and my last hope crumbling to ashes.

.........................................................................................

Thank you for reading. Don't forget to vote and share.