Chapter 98: Haze

Dylan Xander's POV

The rotting floorboards were tough to sleep on, each shift in weight caused an annoying whine.

It was like I was in a constant state of being jabbed in the back by a loose splinter that wouldn't disappear.

The night air was cold as my body laid along the horizontal surface, tightly tucked into a corner of the room.

I had turned in for the night rather quickly, turns out having the Speedforce burned out of your system comes with a low amount of stamina.

Even though I had been unconscious for days prior, this was like a withdrawal.

Which was odd, as I could feel the Speedforce within. It buzzed excitedly under the surface of my skin. Bouncing from every molecule in my body.

Charging each atom...

Yet, I couldn't help feel drained.

Although, restless.

Rolling on my side, the floor screeched as I faced the wall, the white paint peeling of the old vertical plain. As the seconds passed, I couldn't help wonder what the time was.

Yume and her siblings weren't in the room. Were they giving me the room for the night? No, Yume wouldn't be so foolish.

Have you seen, Uta?...

I hummed at the thought, Yume was looking for them before I went to sleep. Perhaps Hide went off to find them with Yume.

Maybe they haven't found Uta...

As the mental image of Yume and Hide calling for their sibling crossed my mind, I found myself pushing off the ground. It creaked under my weight as I pulled myself to my feet. Rubbing my eyes, I grabbed a pair of old shoes that Yume had given to me.

I slipped into them and tied the laces quickly before walking for the door. My hand twisted the rusted knob and pulled, the door matched the noise the ground made.

A wailing squeak that pierced the ears.

The first change I noticed was the area was warmer, which pulled my eyes to the small barrels with a fire crackling within.

People gathered around, rubbing their hands to stay warm. The whispers instantly halted as prying focus was on me.

Eyes of all manners, young, old, man or woman alike were staring at me as I exited the room.

I tried to pulled the door close quietly, to my disappointment, the slow motion prolonged the creaking. Turning around, I pulled on my dark jacket, yet another loan from Yume. Or perhaps from somebody else. I don't believe she would fit into it.

The denim jacket was worn, yet kept the cold at bay.

For that, I was thankful. For some reason, it felt important...

Closing the distance between the herd of homeless residents, I raised my hands by the fire for some extra warmth. "Excuse me" I quietly attempted to get the attention of an old man beside me. He was weathered with a thick beard that made him look an awful lot like one of those old Mall Santas. 

"Have you seen Yume? Or Uta? Maybe Hide?" No response, only a grunt as he took a step away from me. A sigh escaped me as I looked around to see everyone now trying their hardest to not look at me. 

Odd...

"Does anyone know?" I tried my luck with everyone else, all they did was distance themselves further. My eyes followed their expressions, the creases in their skin, the way their eyes darted everywhere but refused to meet mine.