Chapter 53

Blake

"Are you sure you don't want me to come with you?" Noah asked me as I put on my running shoes.

I shook my head. "Nah. I won't be late." I stood and went for the door. "Later." I called and exited our dorm and the building, walking into the large clearing.

I kept walking, stopping at times to say hello to those who were talking to me. Although I was happy that now everyone was grateful that we saved the planet, I didn't like the attention. As soon as I reached the beginning of the tree lines, I took the small alley and started running at a slow pace.

It had been a week after the war. Everyone was exhausted and as soon as it was over we students had a three-day break to rest, and then we took exams because after a week we were getting grades, and it was the holiday which meant the end of our first year.

I didn't expect things to turn out that way. One moment I was human, the other I became a not normal wolf, I liked a girl who betrayed me, and I turned to my ex, the girl I loved died and my ex betrayed me. In the end, she got what she needed. When I learned the truth, it was as if the earth beneath my feet was gone. I was... fine but I wasn't at least like Tristan and Noah.

But at some point, I had to get up and get on with my life, and that opportunity came up with the war. To tell you the truth, I didn't know if I would be alive. And let me tell you something else: Somewhere inside me, a part wanted me to die for all that I did. I felt crap and remorse because instead of staying with the most wonderful and good girl in front of me, I treated her like crap, awful.

When we were fighting, I trembled. From the beginning, I didn't deserve Monica. I disappointed everyone. My legs started running faster as my emotions came out. The environment became a blur and I reduced the running. When I saw her fighting with us, a hope rekindled inside me, and I hoped that in the end, I would tell them how stupid I was.

But that never happened because she disappeared. The last smile she gave us was a goodbye. My heart tightened. We had sat there for the rest of the day crying and screaming. At some point, we all got up with difficulty, and all the others who knew her gathered around and did a ceremony for her. Along with her brothers. They hadn't forgiven us, but they were right. We deserved it. I deserved it.

Not many had died. Some soldiers we didn't know. The only one who died was Jackson's and Micah's father, Caiden. To tell you the truth, I didn't care, I think he deserved it. But everyone was fine and everyone went back to their jobs and lives. Only we still could not adapt. It was hard to get up in the morning and not see her smile or even her crazy laughter. We had lost an important person for no good reason.

I looked around and stopped. I was lost in my thoughts and I had found myself further in the forest, somewhere in its center and even further in. I twisted my body to turn back, but something pulled me back. Something was pulling me further into the woods, and I didn't know what. Little by little, what could happen? Meet a bear? I came back and continued jogging when my phone rang. I took it out of my pocket. "Yes?"

"Hey, Blake." Luke said through my phone.