❀45❀

"How much longer?" Caden groans.

"You really are a child." You laugh.

"I'm 13! I'm a teenager!" Caden exclaims

"When did you turn 13?" You ask.

"Um... like I think 2 months ago...?" He says.

"Well you're freshly 13, so you're still a child." You tease.

"I am not!" He says.

You smirk and pick up a rock right next to you. You hold it up and plop it in his hand.

"Here, why don't you add this one?" You say.

"This is just a regular plain old rock." Caden says.

"Well regular rocks deserve some love too don't you think?" You ask.

"There's nothing special about it though." He grumbles.

"So?" You ask.

"So it's lame." Caden rolls his eyes.

"Nah. I don't think it is." You smile.

"We've been walking for years." Caden grumbles shoving the rock in his pocket.

"I'm sure we're almost there." You say.

"...After we get this are you guys going to leave?" Caden asks.

You look over at him. He looks kind of sad.

"Well... yeah, we need to go back to our time." You say.

Caden frowns and holds his hands together. He looks down and then blushes a little nervously.

"Can you and Hunter come visit again?" He says quickly yet nervously.

You blink a few times and then you frown. When you look over at him he's holding his hands together and he looks like he has a little bit of hope in his face. You put your hand on his shoulder, and he looks up at you.

"...I don't know if we can, visiting the past too much may lead to bad things happening." You say.

"...You guys are nice though." Caden says softly.

"You actually like us?" You ask.

"....yeah." Caden frowns.

"...I know I'm a lot younger and annoying... and I'm not from your time period but... um..." Caden blushes

"M-maybe we could all be... like friends." Caden says rubbing his arm.

Your heart breaks. What are you supposed to say to this? You can't just leave him all sad. You can't let him be lonely.

He's not safe here with his uncle either.

...You shouldn't have talked to him, you shouldn't have gotten attached. Now you wish you could take him with you. If you were to take him with you what would that even mean? What would that do?

"I..." you mumble.

Caden looks over at you. What are you supposed to say? Do you really have to break his heart?

"Um..." you say.

Caden blinks and then shakes his head.

"You know what? Never mind." Caden says softly.

"...I know that that might... complicate things." He shoves his hands in his pockets.

You don't know what to say. He caught on quick, now you really don't know what to say.

"...I'm sorry." You say.

"Don't be, I understand." Caden says.

"Forget I said anything. It doesn't even matter." Caden mumbles.