59

Deepak took his seat at the dining table, but the serious expressions on everyone's faces made him realize that something was amiss.

"Good morning, Dadi maa," he greeted. Dadi maa smiled back and returned the greeting.

"Deepak beta, don't you think she should stay at home instead of going to college? Who knows who she is..." Dadi maa began, but Deepak interrupted firmly.

"Dadi maa, please refrain from discussing my wife. Respect my parents' decision, as the woman you chose for Ayaan, she ran away from the marriage and her sister was substituted. Trust my parents choice," Deepak stated, setting down his spoon with a loud clatter.

"Deepak, why are you always like this? Why do you get angry at my daughter like this? I told you she is a bit naive, but she would never deceive you," Bhavya's mother interjected.

Bhavya's eyes shifted to her mother, her lips forming a pout involuntarily.

"Mom, it's not what you think," Deepak tried to explain, but the sadness in her mother's eyes made him look down.

He reached out to hold Bhavya's hand, but she pushed it away, keeping her gaze fixed on her mother.

"Mom, please don't be upset," she pleaded.

"Go to college, beta. I will move to my own place. If you wish to stay there, you may," her mother declared, causing Deepak's eyes to widen in shock.

"Mom, no, you can't leave," Deepak protested.

"Deepak beta, I cannot stay here," Bhavya's mother stated before leaving the dining table.

"Mom, say something. She shouldn't be alone. Bhavya is her daughter, she should stay here," Deepak implored his parents, who looked at him with hurt expressions.

"No, there is no need for Bhavya's mother to..." his dadi maa began, but Deepak cut him off.

"Dadi maa, please don't finish that. Show some compassion. Just because you suffered due to your mother-in-law's behavior doesn't mean you have to treat your son's wife the same way," Deepak said before following Bhavya's mother.

Bhavya quietly trailed behind him and stood at the door to eavesdrop on their conversation.

DEEPAK

I acknowledge my mistakes, but I cannot let her mother live alone. I kneel before her, fully aware of my wrongdoings, but unable to let her go.

"Mom," I utter, gently grasping her hands in mine.

She responds with a warm smile. This is the love of a mother; they may never be angry, perhaps just upset, but they cannot hold onto anger.

"My apologize mom ," I say slowly. She shakes her head.

"No, beta, I understand that your girlfriend left you..."

"No, mom. There is no justification. I was wrong in so many ways. I should have trusted her. It's just that when I hear 'I love you,' I lose my composure."

"Beta, I know you are facing difficulties. You didn't expect a wife with age regression," Mom says, and I chuckle, shaking my head.

"Mom, I didn't initially like it because I myself wanted a child. I love kids. All of my siblings have one, and I wanted the same, but I knew I had to wait, and that was making me upset," I speak the truth.

"But, you can have a baby; just wait for two years. And may God bless you with a boy. I'm so afraid of having a girl," her mother says, tears welling up in her eyes, and I understand the reason.

"Nothing will happen, maa," I assure her. She nods, determined not to let a tear escape her eyes.

"Please, don't shout at her like this. She is my precious daughter. If you do not support her, no one will. She will be forever upset if you continue to get angry with her," she pleads.

"Mom, I promise I will not. Please do not leave this house. I cannot bear to see you alone. I will take Bhavya to college, and you can rest at home," I say, leaving the room.

She truly loves her so much. I should not have shouted at Bhavya. She is precious to me as well.

"Wait, what are you doing here?" I ask, looking at Bhavya, who is biting her lip.

"You are mean. I don't want to talk to you," she says, a sob escaping her lips.

"What happened, but..."

"You scolded me, and it made my mommy sad. I don't want to talk to you," she says, attempting to leave. However, I held her hand and started walking with her.

"Bhavya, you forgave me for last night," I said as I led her towards my bike.

"I didn't realize you had upset my mom. Do you all think you can hide it so well? I know everything about my family's history. Her tired and pale face says it all. She's always exhausted. I know she just had surgery and was recently discharged. Deepak, I've been through the same thing," she said, wiping her tears with the back of her hand.

"Why are you making my mom sick? Would you be happier if I died so you could find someone more loyal than me?"

"DON'T, and I mean it, don't ever say that. You don't have to forgive me, but please don't say that. Come, let's go to college. It'll change your mood," I said, putting on my helmet taking a deep breath.

"I don't want to sit on the back of this crappy bike," she said, hitting the tires.

"Do you want me to drop you off? Should I sit on back?" I asked, knowing she enjoyed this.

Her sad eyes brightened a little as she nodded her head.

"Alright, our destiny is college, not the hospital."