43 | Shattered

I woke up to the sound of my own complaint of how my headache was being a burden. I sat up straighter on my bed and changed to my everyday wear, brushed my hair and tied it up to a neat ponytail before moving into my bathroom. I did a little happ y dance right there just to cheer myself up, my usual habit. I grabbed my comb and started singing into it, pretending that I had an audience to please. 

I started brushing my teeth after I finished my song and washed my face. I grabbed for my towel instinctively and I felt the towel was levitated from the rack where I tend to put it. I wiped my face on it for a few times before looking up and saw X leaning on the doorframe. "Good morning." He handed me two pills and a glass of water. "Take these, it'll make your headache better." I raised an eyebrow at him before taking these pills with a glass of warm water. 

"Why are you here." I snapped, staring at him with big bright blue eyes. 

"I just wanted to check on you." I hung his head and stared the ground, "I know I'm not supposed to be here but.." 

I tsked and walked over and placed my paws on his shoulder. "Come on," I smiled at him and titled his face upwards by his jaws. "There's nothing wrong with checking on me, but there is definitely something wrong with not notifying me before doing it." 

I hung his head and stared at the ground again, not saying a word. I exhaled deeply and lifted his chin, his green eyes stared at me with regret. "After what I've made you go through..." His voice trailed off. 

"What?" I stared at him, cocking my head as he stared at me with his green eyes.

"Why... Why would treat me with friendliness after what you've gone through alone, by yourself?" He stuttered, as I pursed my lips and wiped a stray tear from his cheek. 

"X, you don't understand." I smiled warmly, my blue eyes glowing brighter. "Before I met you, I thought that being over someone meant that you don't love them anymore. But after what happened in the cafe, I'm not quite sure if my beliefs are true. It's true, X, that I may not love you the way I used to, that I may not be your girlfriend again. But I guess there's a part of me that will always care for you, just like you care for me, even if I rejected your help when you see me holding back tears that rainy day outside the tribe house. It's true, I got cold, but I just want you to be happy without me, even if that makes me a little bit sad. 

"A little?" He raised his eyebrow.

"Okay, a lot." I scowled under my breath as he smiled brightly. "I'll always smile, even a twitch of the tip of my mouth when someone mentions your name in the town, or in the tribe. Or when I see a picture of you... Even if that makes me a bit bitter with what you've achieved and who you're with." X exhaled and stared at me expectantly. 

"And I always love the memories of us, X, every bits of it. From when I first arrived to this world until the moments we had in the campus, to what happened in the town. It's true, that I love the memories of us, X, even if the feelings are long gone. And we may not be who we were, and I may not be the Moth that you've loved, and maybe, you're not that X that I've loved, but we're still who we are, and the memories are long carved in our thoughts. Before I go to sleep every night, I stared at the necklace that you gave me for my birthday, wondering what had happened between us, what made us fall apart. But, X, remember that, you're the one who changed my opinion with getting over someone, and you had just become my mentor for the second time."

He stood there, speechless as he held his paws today and exhaled deeply before staring at me with a proud smile. "I'm over you, X. But, I still care about you." I stepped away from him, "and I am glad that I have the courage to tell you this today, X. But this is what you need to know." I replied, pretending to be solemn. 

"I'm proud of you, Moth." He took a step towards the door, into the main room of my residence. "I'm glad that you've told me the words that you've never said, but here's a thing that I must tell you." He took out a jar filled with white powder and handed it to me with cautious. I stared at it with curiosity as I gave it a light shake and watched it shimmered in the morning light radiated from the sun. It shouldn't be -

"Moth." He began, and took a strand of fur from his bangs and held it out to me as it turned to a line of small, refined pixels. "I'm getting old." He told me, as if it didn't matter to him. "I'm pretty positive that I won't be able to be your mentor for a long period, Moth." He continued as-a-matter-of-factly. I lowered my gaze to the floor, biting my lip as I held back my tears. "And this jar of pixels, would be the only thing that will remind you of my existence after I disappeared from this world." He pressed his paws on top of the cover of the jar and stared at me truthfully with his bright green eyes. I nodded, staring at him with my bright blue eyes. It felt like we're back to the time when we were both crazy for each other, when we were both young and chasing our own dreams. Something dropped in the hallway as my head snapped towards the direction of the source. His pupil contracted with fear as his breathing quickened. 

I slid the jar across the wooden table and gave him a quick smile before swinging open the door and found  Aek standing in front of my door. He stepped back, startled. "I-I-I didn't catch any of your conversation!" He stammered as he crossed his arms in front of his chest protectively. I gave him a curt nod and asked for the reason of the loud noises in the hallway. 

"A fight." He whispered as I whipped my head towards X and gave him a quick farewell as I descended from the stairs, with my shotgun tightly gripped in my paws.  I looked down and saw the chaos in the living room as I let out an inaudible gasp and saw a few mice lying there in the living room with the fragments of a broken plate. I hurried down the stairs and saw an outreached arm in the distant, as if it was reaching out for me.

I hurried over and whispered, "what happened?"  

"The king is gone," the mouse coughed out, "the remains of the tribe is hanging from the withered branches." He spoke in an inaudible voice and smiled at me, the tips of his fur changed into a combination of white and reddened pixels. "Dreams are shattered, just like our plates, which are shattered and our dreams, as well, are shattered by our beloved king."  He inhaled and exhaled sharply as he spoke to me, "stay strong, do not fear the break off." He inhaled for one last time and his outreached paw dropped to the blood-stained carpet.

"What is the name of the tribe?" I asked, as the mouse said nothing and his faint outline disappeared into the mid-air. I let out a sigh, remembering how an amazing tribe mate he was and stood up from the ground as the handle of my shotgun hit the cupboard and a large notebook with a leather cover fell out from it and I whirled around, my eyes glowing brighter in the dim light. I looked at the leather book and saw Way's handwriting on it. I walked over to the whiteboard and spun it around, revealing a few name suggestions with a cross over it, and a word written by a black marker in italics: Levitate

___________________________________

A/N:

Yay for end of exam and woah for long chapter! So how do you think of this chapter? I hope that you guys liked it! 

INSPIRATION: 

"For a long time I thought that being over someone meant you didn't love them anymore, but with you, I'm not sure that is ever going to be true. I may not love you the way I used to, but I think a part of me will always care for you. I'll always want you to be happy, even if it makes me sad in the process, I'll always smile when someone mentions your name, or I see a picture of you, even if it also makes me a little bitter. And I always love the memories that we have of us, when we are both crazy about each other, even if the feelings are long gone." - A quote from the web.

Chapter 3 of Equilibrium is out! Go and check it out in @stem1025 's profile! Equilibrium is a collaboration between me, Stem and @Ryeskiers ! So do make sure to check it out! 

Thank you so much for the support, this book wouldn't make it to Chapter 43 without you guys! And also we've reached 3.5k views (WHAT?!), thank you so much for everything. *bows* 

I am planning to end this book at chapter 50, what do you think? Let me know in the comments! 

Stay awesome guys and I'll see you guys in next chapter! 

M.