48 | Braid

I rolled over the bed and fell onto the floor with a loud thud as I groaned in surprise, my eyes refusing to open as my comforter wrapped over my body protectively. I groaned against the light radiated from the sun through the window as I draped my paw over my eyes and laid there on the floor, not wanting to get up.

"Wakey wakey!" Karo barged into the door with a grin. I groaned and turned away from her, facing my bed. A pair of paws gripped me by my armpits and hauled me to my feet. I grimaced at the bright light as Karo flung herself to my bed.

"What is the date today? Why are we waking up that early?" I asked in my morning voice as Karo giggled at the sound of it.

"It's Sunday, dummy." Karo said, picking an outfit for me in my closet as she walked over to the window and pulled the curtains, revealing the large stream of light as I covered my eyes with my paw with a groan like a vampire being awakened by the long lost souls of the virtual world. "It's our hangout day." Karo said, as she shoved a pile of makeups and hair clips to me. "Put these on first, then we'll beautify you."

"Is it really that necessary?" I asked as I walked over to the toilet silently.

"You had too much last night." She said as I frowned at the reflection of myself in the bathroom mirror.

"I look old." I commented and leaned forward to look at myself better in the mirror.

"Exactly." I heard her snickering as she replied.

"I heard you!" I yelled as I stormed out of the bathroom playfully, pretending to be mad at something. She shrieked, pretending to be scared.

"Just go back to your area, commander." Karo said solemnly before rolling his eyes fondly. I said nothing but going inside.

I brushed my teeth and spit into the sink after rinsing my jaw with water for a few times, then I walked out of the room, as Karo gave me my outfit and I quickly got changed. Karo pushed me towards the chair as she sat me down and started braiding my hair. "What are you doing?" I asked, leaning backwards to look at her as she blindfolded me.

"You'll see." That was what she said when my vision was blackened by a strand of cloth covering my eyes.

***

Karo had made sure that I was following her lead to our destination as I did what she asked for without saying much. The sunken tribe house was now being replaced by a new one, with it being shaped like a submarine. I halted when we reached the tribe house, as memories flashed back to me like a wave. "Don't worry," she reassured me as we entered the tribe house from the conning tower and I shivered against the unfamiliarity of the scent of the tribe.

She led me through tunnels and we arrived at a larger room, filled with tables and benches. Mice scurried back and fro between us as we moved against the brown painted walls, like water passing through rocks in the stream. They all filed into the canteen as I looked around in bewilderment. "Don't worry," she reassured me again, "it's just lunch time." I nodded as she led me through different tunnels and rooms, and we finally arrived at a large space, with a straight road ahead, with nothing but an elevator.

"This looks like a burrow." I commented as she pressed on the button of the elevator and the door rolled opened to the side.

"Everyone in the tribe helped each other out while we're building this, since Star basically had turned her back on us." Karo explained as she pressed on a button with residence labeled on it. "A creative mouse suggested that we should make a burrow instead of having an underwater tribe house. And I'm going to take you to meet her." She replied calmly, ignoring the puzzled look I've presented on my face. Her?