46 | Wildfire

I ran away from the rocks and dropped on my all fours as my shotgun was held securely on my back. My red eyes had enhanced my speed. I thought to myself in delight as I ran across the thick snow, not minding the freezing cold that crept up from my paws. I looked around me as I ran, paying attention to the changes of the trees as I turned into a snow-covered area planted with oak trees. I halted when I reached the edge of the now-frozen pond.

I squinted at the lights reflected from the snow as I moved across the ice carefully, being careful not to break the ice. There was a hole formed by the broken pieces of ice. Perhaps someone was there, I analysed as I dove in it and swam my way into the tribe house. I entered the tribe house with the back-door and closed it as lightly as possible. The water was immediately drained from the isolation cabin near the door. I gave my shotgun a good shake before noticing a few chefs eyeing me suspiciously from the kitchen.

I nodded towards their direction, to no one in general as I ran into the main hall and listened for any trace of sounds, but there wasn't anything. A snarl came from my left as I whirled around and met nothing but the lights turning off. My red eyes glowed in the dark, allowing me to see clearly. I held my shotgun in place as I turned back and stalked towards the main living room, and saw no one there.

Weird.

Suppressing my feeling of something bad would happen, I opened the door, and there was a staircase which led to the basement of the tribe house. It creaked open as I poked my head inside and scanned the area with my eye, then I ventured inside. The basement was cold, the warmth in the living room didn't reach the basement. I shivered against the cold as I looked around and found a pair of green eyes by the wall. "Keb!" I whispered as his eyes widened with fear.

"Who are you!" He spoke, his voice clearly portrayed the fear he felt.

"It's me! It's Moth!" He took out his dagger and handed it over to me. I held the hilt of the knife in place as he rubbed the edge of the rope against the blade. He quickly stood up when the rope was broken apart and tilted his head downwards to look at me and checked if I had any injuries.

"You're alright." He let out a breath of air, relieved as I titled my head upwards to look at him and smiled at me as he smiled back.

"How long have you been here?" I asked as he shook his head, either he didn't know or he didn't want to tell me.

"Not for long, I guess." He said at last and took the dagger away from my paws and it turned back into a shotgun.

"Whoa, how did it-" I stopped myself, remembering Wayme once told me that he wanted to promote Keb as the tribe leader.

"Wayme got it for me. He knew this would happen." He interjected, before leading the way up the stairs. "We have to be very careful, Moth. One wrong move will get us killed." I nodded at him as he ascended the stairs and opened the door to the main living door lightly. He opened the door and a pair of blue eyes flew towards him. His shotgun quickly turned into a dagger and it pierced through the mouse as his eyes widened in surprise and he slid to the floor, pixels flowing freely from the wound. "Surprise." Keb added afterwards.

I let out a small laughter before Keb took a step next to the mouse and he looked around and saw no one around us. "Just like what we do in training, you take the left, I take the right." I nodded in agreement before following his directions. I tied my hair up in a ponytail as a mouse ran towards my direction. I lifted my legs and gave her a good kick as she fell on the floor, but then got up. I completed the action and took my shotgun from the ground near me and gave her a shot, and she fell on the floor again, unconscious. Well that was easy.

I looked over my shoulders and saw Keb being strangled by two mice. I aimed at the mouse, who had his claws extended and fixed on Keb's throat. I pulled the trigger and it hit the mouse in the head as he stumbled backwards and laid there on the ground. Keb took this opportunity as he kicked upwards and kicked as the mouse laid on the ground, his paws over his gut and groaned in pain.