e i g h t

(Marlon Teixeira as Reef Diaz)

Two weeks had passed by like the time had been sped up. We all stopped acting like maniacs and actually had fun together. We went steelhead fishing, swimming in the lake, kayaking, camping (which we had to do over) and the best of all, ending it all with a movie: the one and only What's Eating Gilbert Grape. But while we were watching we suddenly had to  suddenly pause it because Reef was still hooked on The Phantom of the Opera, and it was all we could watch since he had control over movie night.

Zoe was so hyped up and ready to leave that she couldn't wait to go back to her Brooklyn apartment and away from the lazy environment in upstate New York.

"Man, the end is already here." We all look at her. She comes to us with open arms for a group hug.

"Bring it in, guys," Cole says while trying to find air. I squeeze his built frame, hearing little moans of his suffering coming from his mouth.

"Believe me, ya'll are wavy or whatever and I had a great time spending part one of my summer vacation with you guys, I wish it could last longer, but, damn, a girl like me misses eating Chipotle, drinking Starbucks, and screaming at the McDonald employees because their ice cream machine doesn't work!"

"Ugh, me too!" Anna rubs her belly.

"Let's finish packing; shall we?" We go back to our rooms to pack up all of our stuff.

I brought a lot of clothes with me because I wasn't sure what the environment would be like up there. I never traveled further than upstate. I visioned the area would be a lot fancier: real people walking around, drinking, and talking, a five-star hotel the size of Walmart servicing a field of cabins.

But when Zoe went into full detail on the trip  last minute as always, I became aware of things.

There was no hotel nor hot guys. There's nothing entertaining up there like there is in the city.

"Hey, Reef," I call him from outside the window, "can you help me with my luggage?"

____

He slowly saunters into my room, watching me with seductive eyes. He looked tired--but a sexy kind of tired.

"Which one?" He looks at the ground with his hand on his hips.

"The floral one."

He picks it up, balancing it on his shoulders.

"That one has all my stuff. I'll just carry these," I said, tossing my duffle bag over my shoulder and another dangling in my left hand. "I have liquid makeup in there, so please be careful."

"No problem."

We reached outside as the rest of the gang tossed their belongings into the van. Cole was in the driver's seat with his shades on the bridge of his nose, looking like he's trying to keep an eye on Reef and I. There's nothing going between the two of us, so I'm not sure why he's giving me a very disturbing look.