f o u r t y - s e v e n

"Well, honey, I think you're exaggerating. She's doing fine." Said Kevin, sitting on the edge of the bed as he takes off his shoes. A late night shift had him running around all day. The last thing he needs is his wife complaining at twelve in the morning.

Leila sighed and took off her glasses.

"My little girl is all grown up. She hasn't called. She barely comes ov-"

"She isn't a child anymore, baby. She's living her life. You're the one who thought letting her move in with Zoe was a wonderful idea."

"I know. Now I wish I didn't. I miss my baby girl." Said Leila leaning in to kiss Kevin. He didn't grant her permission. He turned his face, cuddled under the sheets, and turned off the light.

Halfway through the night, she stayed awake and watched Kevin fall heavily asleep.

She got off the bed without a care she'd wake him because even the sound of a bomb going off couldn't wake him.

She got dressed up and fled.

It's one in the morning. She only has few hours to get back home and pretend she was by Kevin's side the whole night.

Leila rolled her car window down, smoked a blunt and watched a house while parked across the street. She wondered why she ended the affair with this mystery man. So, her curious self went back to his house and watched the neighborhood.

After smoking her blunt, Leila headed toward the house.

The lights were still on and the man she left months ago stood in front of her with his brows raised.

"Leila?" Damon scratched the back of his head. "I thought you didn't want to see me anymore?"

"Yeah, that was the dumbest decision I ever made in my life." She crashed her lips onto his and made out until they both ended up in the living room.

"Jesus." He murmured while she took off her blouse and revealed her naked chest. Damon massaged her breasts. She continued to strip herself until she was left in her underwear. Damon's hands did all the magic making her slip into a world of pleasure.

"I've missed you so." She said while taking off his pajama pants.

"Wait." He said as she continued kissing his neck. "I'm seeing someone."

Leila laughed a little and kept giving him pecks on the neck. Damon refused as he pushed back and looked her in the eye.

"As much as I'd like to fuck you right now, it wouldn't be right for me to do that." He said. Leila pushed him off and began putting her clothes back on.

"Wow." She forced her blouse on her body.

"Look-"

"You just know when to make things worse." She stopped putting on the rest of her wardrobe and crossed her arms.

Damon got off the couch.

"You're married, Leila. You belong to your husband." He stated boldly with his hands on his hips.

"You didn't say that last time," She walks towards him and cups his face. "You are so fucking fine I just want to sit on your face."

Damon raised his brows happily.

"Don't be stupid." She said undoing her blouse again.

"Let's not." He informed cutting all ties with her. He shakes his head and looks at her lifeless. "You're married. It was fun but seriously does your husband even know where you are?"

She was shocked at his statement. She did not expect him to go off like that.

"Excuse me? Now you care about my husband?" She stated.

"That man must be crazy in love with you. Now, why would you want to hurt him?"

"He slept with my cousin!" Leila exclaimed getting angry at the memory she buried in the back of her head. It was starting to trigger a lot of emotions. She couldn't look Kevin or Liza in the eyes anymore.

Even the thought of seeing Kevin and Liza fondling each other made her blood boil.

"Okay, you know what," Damon said rubbing her shoulders. "Would you like a drink?" He heads toward the cabinet and grabs two wine glasses.

He pops open a bottle of Hennessey.

Leila looked disgusted but decided that a drink would calm her down.

He handed her the glass. Leila smelled the liquor and wrinkled her nose but took a sip anyway.

"How do you drink this stuff?" She shakes her head. "People who drink Hennessey are the devil. This stuff is disgusting."

"I must be because I could drink this all night." He toasted clinging his glass against Leila's. "You said it was over between us and that you want to forgive your husband."

"I said that?"

"Yes." Damon replied elegantly acting like a rich man in a suit at a gathering in some fancy hotel with an army of men just like him.

"I don't recall." She replied putting the class down.

"Well I do! Very clear." He said pointing at his temple. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to get ready for work."

She looked around heavily looking for the time. She finally caught it as her eyes landed on the digital clock by the flat screen TV.

"It's two-thirty am."

"I know." He replied drinking his glass until it was empty.

"Don't you have sleep to catch up on? She said.

"I should be asking you the same thing." He replied. "For a forty-nine year-old, your deliciously young looking."

"It's my Mexican genetics." She raised a brow. She puts down the glass and stared at him until he noticed the gleam in her eye.

"What?"

"You never resist me. You think I give a crap about your "girlfriend"?" She said.

"I hope so." He replied. She laughed.

"I came here to relieve some stress."

"Drink my dear." He picked up her glass. She rolled her eyes and sucked her teeth at him.

"You have got to be kidding me." She grabbed her purse.

"Where are you going?" He asked.

"Home to my husband where I belong." She threatened before slamming his door.

Leila got back in bed with Kevin. He took up all the space. She hates when he does that. She took a long glance at their wedding photo when Jaide was only five years old tugging at the train of her mother's dress, Kevin wrapping his arms around her neck while looking down at her, and a fiasco of children in the background cheering happily. They all looked so happy.

Leila started crying knowing she cannot heal and that she will never feel the same.

Kevin ran his hands on her side and pulled her in for a hug.

"Where'd you go?" He asked in a tired tone.

"I went to watch TV. I couldn't sleep." She replied as the heat forming in her eyes. Flood of tears began streaming down her cheeks.

Kevin went back to dreaming. She cried herself to sleep.