f o u r t y - s i x

Damon

Nora grabbed a bag of Hot Cheetos from my cabinet. She jumps to my side on the couch and knocks the remote off the seat.

"Opps! Silly me." She jokes picking it back up.

"Yeah, yeah clumsy. Hand over the bag." I reply giggling at her. I never appreciate Nora in a way to really thank her for being there for me. Her energy today is vibrant as if she won the lottery. Her aura is contradicting. I don't know what good karma came her way but she's looks beautiful and happy.

"Boyfriend?"

"What?" She coy's. She pushed her curly-kinky fro to the side showing off the angle of her slender face. Her skin is glowing to perfection and it's cute.

"You're like really bubbly today. Who's the guy?"

"There is no guy." She says drinking straight from the bottle of Taylor Port. She drinks nervously giving me a brief side eye.

"Yeah, there is. You're blushing." I intimidate smiling at her. I'm happy for her. She's finally found someone to love and cherish. That's nice. Nora is socially awkward when meeting people so if she ended up breaking the ice, I congratulate her.

"Seriously there is no guy," She laughs. "I'm just in a really good mood. Geez, can a girl be happy without a man."

We ended the conversation. Nora's favorite television show was on. Humans. A series of episodes that show future earth in an ecosystem where the must have gadget is a synth (Synthetic humans) as they slowly take over the world and develop consciousness.

"God, I love Odie. He's so cute and adorable." She touches her chest and bows her head down in awe. "I feel so bad for him. He's lost."

"He's a robot. Technically he isn't." I insist.

"He's broken, Damon." She rolls her eyes at me.

"Whatever." She pushes me playfully. "Blondie's kinda cute." Her face changed in disgust.

"Niska? She's a cold killer. She's heartless."

"Exactly. She's a robot." I stuff a Cheeto in my mouth then chewed it aggressively because I want to annoy her besides the fact that her biggest pet peeve is hearing others chew their food.

"She's volatile and hates humans. I don't blame her, though. There isn't much hope for us anyway. Plus, they treat the synth's like trash." She replies sounding like lecturer.

"Their world looks so cool but creepy. Imagine waking up at four am at the crack of dawn and green gloomy eyes stare at you while you're drinking orange juice out of the carton when you're not supposed to. Sick!"

"Yeah, that is creepy." She get's up to go use the restroom. The show was almost over but she came back just in time to catch up on the last five minutes.

"I'm lost. How did they end up conscious in the first place?" She puts her foot on my lap.

"Well, a scientist put a program in their heads. It's all explained in season one."

"Gotcha."

"Damon, can I ask you something?"

"You may."

"Are you happy?" She turns her body fully towards me and the gloomy lights from the television glimmer on the side of her face giving her eyes and unusual eye color.

I stopped digging in the bag and looked at her. She was eyeing me with a smile, a faint one when you can tell it's forced.

"Happy? Yes, why?"