t w e n t y - t h r e e

(Jaide)

I ran away I fast as I can. I don't know who was trying to get me but it sure is bothering me.

Never have I ever been so nervous in my life. Now I don't know what to think about Damon. How do I know if he doesn't have hidden cameras in his home. He probably electronically sent those messages to me in order for me to stay away from him.

I don't know what I did to deserve this but it sure is nerve wracking. I pray that the person who's doing this to me has second thoughts and leaves me alone.

___

"Jaide, get the door will you." My mother said setting up the kitchen table.

My dad had stepped in for me. He opens the door. Every last family member on my mother's side smiles with joy. It's written all over their faces. I'm standing right by my dad looking at him and them. His eyes glided to Liza. She was too busy day dreaming at the ground as her flowing wavy black hair floated under the sun. She looked like a peaceful child. She wasn't ugly either. She's beautiful but it was the way her family treated her and the way she let them is what really bothered me.

Grandma Rose pushed the door slightly brushing her way past my father's big arms to hug me.

"Chicka, mi preciosa flor!" She hugs me tightly and shakes me. I forgot how welcoming Grandma Rose's hugs are. I always bury my nose in her hair, too. Her hair always smells like flowers and watermelons. Maybe she uses a special Mexican shampoo.

"Mama!" My mother yells from behind me. Instantly, my mother pushes her through our hug, somehow, and steals Grandma from me.

My dad laughs and gives me a side hug.

"Let them be. They're just excited."

He kissed me on my head and rubs his hands up and down my arm. The air was filled with excitement, screams, and spanish slang.

____

My mother seated everyone at the table but I noticed how Liza already found herself a seat. I'm getting a strong feeling that my mother's cousin still feels a way about what happened last year.

My mom takes her dish rag, tosses it over her shoulder, and begins to serve the mash potatoes.

"Jaide, can you help me, please?" I got up out of my chair smiling at one of Liza's younger siblings.

My dad stopped me from doing so and told me to sit down.

"I'll help your mom instead." He takes a sip of his glass of red wine filled all the way to the top.

Liza's head was down. Her eyes were glued to her plate.

She was always the type to open her mouth and say jokes in spanish. I miss her telling me stories about how savage she was in highschool for getting in petty fights with girls. Now, she barely shows a gleam in her eyes.

I feel bad for her and all the tension is making me mentally ill. Someone please say something. I can longer take the spoons banging against the plates.

Liza didn't take my mother's offer of her mashed potatoes, instead she decided to eat salad and drink some juice.

Everyone else's plate was filled with delicious Mexican cuisine.

"Are you sure you don't want some of the enchiladas Leez?" My father asked Liza handing her the bowl full of them.

"No, thanks." Her smile quickly faded. My mother gave my father a pissed off look.