t w e n t y - e i g h t

A month later, school began. I had left everything behind in the summer. My time was well spent walking around campus getting used to my surroundings.

"Man, so many sexy people around. Jaide, with this many hot guys, I'm afraid I might flunk my classes." She lowers her shades on the bridge of her nose. The campus is crowded and full of students wondering around.

Zoe pushed me back and told me to stop walking.

"Zoe-" she grimaced. She looked across the campus staring at someone fiercely like a lion.

"Shh, don't say a word." She implies while taking a few seconds to calm down.

"I-"she shushes me again but this time, her index finger appears on my lip. She looks around some more. I was beginning to worry.

"Ah, shut it. Damn, he's just the most precious looking piece of art." She says taking off her shades. Zoe's eyes are pinned to a young man with braided hair and a designer shirt on. He was communicating with his other male friends who were circulating around him.

"Ooh come with, come with!" she yanked me so she can gaze at the boy.

The guys are beatboxing and rapping until it was time for the boy Zoe had her eyes on proceed to volunteer and exchange a few poetic verses. He steps in the circle as the little crowd around him cheers and catcalls.

"Let's take it to the basics

You in the midst the greatness

My Martin was a Maison, rocked Margiela with no laces
Cristal go by the cases, wait hold up that was racist
I would prefer the Aces, ain't no different when you taste it
A 40 ounce to chase it, that's just an understatement
I'm early to the party but my 'Rari is the latest
Somehow it seems girls in they late teens
Remind me your favorite jeans cause they naked cause you famous
Life's a motherfucker ain't it? These other rappers aimless
So tell me what your name is Imma tell it to my stainless
You aim it for you bang it let that banger leave you brainless
It's just me, myself, and I and motherfuckers that I came with
Miscellaneous niggas wanna hate on me
Until I tell them to they face they ain't no G
Low key, niggas mad cause I'm smooth puffin' zig zag
Tell 'em quit the riff raff bitchin' with yo bitch ass. "

He looks our way but his eyes were on Zoe. She blushed while looking away the second he noticed her eyes piercing the side of his face.

"Aye, that was dope." Zoe was impressed. I'm into rap and his sick flow so I was digging it.

"Thank you." The man replies. He smiles cheerfully as a golden piece of jewelry shining in his mouth stings my eyes. Grills. He's wearing diamond and gold grills.

"What's your name?" Zoe asked not being bothered at all by his grills.

"Rakim. Just another rapper named after one."

"Oh, you're named after that 90s rapper?"

"Of course." Even though he looked super street like the young guys do in NYC nowadays, his personality is certainly charming. I didn't get an awkward vibe. We're complete strangers and it feels like I've met him centuries ago.

"I'm Zoe." They shake hands. Apparently, Rakim was too busy admiring Zoe's hype beast like profile. They had something in common. They dressed the same.

"Ra?" A friend of his, most likely someone he's known for a long time, puts his arm around his neck. The friend ogles us.

"Oh, you got new friends?" The friend asks.