t w e n t y - o n e

Catherine Zeta-Jones as Leila Lopez and George Clooney as Kevin Abrianna

(Jaide)

Later that day, I walk into my house and noticed my parents already fondling each other. My dad was viciously ravishing my mother's neck with kisses. His trousers were off and all I could see was his naked buttocks staring back me.

My mother was enjoying every single thrust but when she picked her head up and met eyes with mine, she screamed, tugged at my father's suit and demanded him to stop. My father had no idea why until he looked back and shouted himself.

I was speechless. I had never seen my parents doing the unthinkable in front of me. Now, this is just nasty. I don't what I'm going to do after this because Lord knows what's going through my mind looking at a disturbing tragedy.

"Guys, oh my god." I cover my eyes tightly wishing I had come home during the night.

"Don't you knock, Jaide?" said my mother brushing her hair back into place with her fingers.

"I just--Jesus Christ." I stutter tripping over the carpet.

"See what you did Leila, now Jaide is going to suffer because of you." My father says while zipping up his trousers and fixing his blazer.

"Me?" my mother insists fixing her bra. "You're the one who thought it'll be 'cool' to get gritty on the kitchen counter."

"I KNOW YOU GUYS CAN CLEARLY SEE ME STANDING IN FRONT OF YOU!" I yell trying to forget what my mother just said.

Yet alone, try and forget what I just saw.

"I'll be upstairs." My mother said ashamed of what she's done in front of her only child. My father was lost for words struggling to avoid the situation with an open mouth.

"Look, honey," he says suavely. " You're old enough to understand what just happened here. I'm not going to lie to you and say you didn't witness anything but please pretend," he begs. He looks up at the stairs and back at me. " For your mother. . ." I nodded my head and accepted his command.

I don't want to remember this for the rest of my life. How about that, dad!

Minutes had passed by. It took almost an hour for my mom to clean her act and face me after seeing her face in an unusual expression.

"Hey baby," she brushes my hair back and kisses my cheek. "How's everything going?"

"Good!" I said closing my phone and giving her all of my attention. My dad was in his office in the basement doing paperwork. I'm convinced he went down there to finish off what he couldn't let out right before I interrupted him. . .

"Come help me in the kitchen." My mother says while cupping my face. She leads the way and I follow her every step. She reaches for the cabinet to take out a couple knives. They're extremely sharp and pointy. I have fear of sharp objects and she knows that. She's aware of how I feel about knives so she kept them near her. She never lets me use them unless I'm being watched.

"Guess what?" She says smiling excitedly at me. I don't know if almost catching an orgasm made her feel better or something is happening under my nose and it's finally a big surprise.

"What?" I said washing my hands.

"Guess!"

Mom, I have no idea what to guess. Just tell me the news already.

"Umm, you guys finally got me a car?" I added showing off my pearly whites. My mother chortled while looking down at the empty bowl in front of her.

"No and. . .no," she smiles. She licks her lips and giggles some more. "You and that car of yours is something else."

"You said guess."

"I know what I said. Besides, you don't need a car. You live in New York City. There's plenty of subway stations to get you where you want to go."

"Yeah, but I want a car. It'll be cool to roll down my window and say mean things to people crossing the street."

". . .Jaide."

"Yes, mommy dearest?"

"You're cousins from Mexico are visiting."

"That was the news?"

"Is there a problem?" She turns on the stove. I'm happy that my family from Mexico are visiting but they come over every summer so this isn't. . .news. Why can't my cousins from Italy on my father's side come visit, they barely come over, I barely communicate with them.

"No."

"Aunt Nancy, cousin Liza and the twins, my uncle, my aunts, your grandmother." She went on listing a few more relatives.

"That's great," I said trying to sound overjoyed.

"Your dad isn't too happy about it, though."

I was going to ask her why but then I remembered what happened between cousin Liza and my dad.

Two summers ago, my dad had come home in the middle of the day and caught Liza stealing money from his safe. He dropped the incident but later that month she was trying to get in bed with him.

Liza was always the black sheep in the family. No one really liked her except my mother. She's the only one who wasn't influenced by what the family said. My mother and Liza didn't speak for two years after that but when Grandpa died of a stroke she'd thought she'd let it go. Hopefully, when she comes over, I don't have to participate in an awkward moment.

"He'll get over it," I said.

"I doubt it. You know how you're father is. Plus, he already doesn't want any part of this but he loves me and he said he'll put his differences aside so I can be happy."

I must admit, I hope I marry a guy like my dad. He genuinely loves my mom and will do anything to make his wife happy. He'll be damned if he divorces her. I asked him if he and mom will ever break up he looked at me with disgust and he said.

Dad: "I love your mom too much to do that. That's like throwing a diamond in exchange for a rock. Your mother is a diamond. She's worth a lot to me and I'd be damned if I ever let paper get between us."

Strong words dad, strong words.

"Let's see what will happen when they arrive."

My mom begins to chop some onions into small little squares. She kept looking at me back and forth. I noticed her little side glances but they weren't welcoming. It looked like she was trying to come onclusions of what I've been up to. She stops chopping the onions and squints at me.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"Something is off with you." She wiggles the knife around pointing at my attire. The knife was far away from me but it still felt close.

"What do you mean?"

"I feel like there's something going on with you but I can't point it out."

"I have no idea what you are talking about."

"Did you dye your hair?" She continued chopping but right when I was going to answer my dad interrupts wiggling the house phone in his hand.

"Leils, Grandma said they'll be coming next week and she said to get some stuff she needs from the supermarket."

My mother knew what the 'stuff' is but I didn't. He walks over to the counter a grabs my mom from behind.

"I love you so much," he gives her more kisses down her neck. "I'd love to-" he continued his sentence in a quiet whisper murmuring words into my mother's ears.

She softly elbows him in the stomach.

"KEVIN!" She jumps from his grip and laughs.

"You know what, I'll just watch some TV. Call me back when you need me," I said grabbing a carrot and chewing at it violently.