t w e n t y - s i x

(Jaide)

The text played over and over again in my head. I find it really disturbing how someone had the audacity to attempt to kill my mother by putting motor oil in her drink.

The power someone had to do that made me furious and I think I know who could be doing this to me.

After I left the hospital, I ran to Damon's porch and banged violently on his door. The lights are still on so I know he couldn't be asleep.

He opens the door with a confused look on his face until my right hand aimed for a punch but he had blocked it. Might I say he has extremely good reflex.

"Jaide, what the hell?" He kept blocking my punches some more until we fought our way on the couch. My hands are jailed together above my head. Damon is on top of me holding back the strength I had to strangle him.

"I'm not playing with you."

"What the hell is the matter with you?" His heavy breathing increased.

"You think this is a fucking joke to you?" I yelled at him. He seemed frightened as he distanced his head further back.

"What?"

"Why the fuck would you do that?"

"Do what?"

"Send me a text bragging about how much you want my mother dead." His brows furrowed together instantly. I could just imagine the slightest bit of excuse that's gonna come out his mouth.

"Are you trying to push me away?"

"Your mother? When did I attempt to send such a thing? I would never do that to anyone. That's sick and absurd!" His tone got deeper but you can hear the pitch in his larynx get higher.

"Don't fucking lie to me, Damon!"

"Jaide, do you hear yourself? I don't even know your mother from a hole in the wall." He's right. He never met her but all this confusion was pointing all fingers at him.

"Are you trying to scare me away because it's fucking working!" I yelled with much more anger. His grip loosened up a bit. As they did, I aimed for another punch but he prevented it. Another try and no success. God, I suck at this shit. Can I catch him off guard already?

"Jaide, what the hell is the matter with you? You think I'm held accountable for attempted murder?"

"Yes!"

"I can't fucking believe this! I can't believe you right now. You're blaming me for a crime I did not commit."

"Why did you want me leave, huh?" I ask.

"I'm so confused." He replies rolling his eyes elsewhere.

"Two or three nights ago when I came, I got a text from an unknown number. At first I thought it was a joke until I was being threatened."

"Two nights ago? . . .the day you stormed out?"

"Yes, I panicked and left because I thought it was you."