t w e n t y - t w o

The next few days I spent all day cleaning and helping my mom rearrange the house.

It was now less than a week from hearing side conversations and subliminal's being thrown at each other.

I crept behind the sofa so that I can see what angle I'm pushing it towards.

Damon: Jaide ♡

I got a text. My phone was going crazy. It was constantly buzzing. My mom on the other side of the house dusting walks over to the coffee table, picks it up, and smiles at the screen.

Whatever was exposed to her is none of her business but I didn't freak out because what could be that important?

"Who is Damon?" She giggles. Immediately I jumped to save my phone from her. If she finds out what I've been up to lately she'll probably threaten to send me to Mexico in a dome.

"Some guy from campus!" my palms covered her hands as I tried to get my phone back. She dashes away into the kitchen and read a few texts out loud.

Standing behind the counter that's protecting her, she read the text in a romantic voice mimicking a person in love.

"Sorry about avoiding you lately, I've been busy. I'd like to continue where we left off. Is that okay? I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience." My mother raised her eyebrows.

"For a 'campus' guy he sounds really mature," she says giving me the look of approval. When I approached her much closer she ran to the out of the kitchen and ran off into the livingroom like a cheetah.

"He's just trying to get to know me. It's a college process,"I started again. I took my phone from her. She startled backward and fell on the couch.
I looked at her, feeling ashamed of what I've done. She flicks her hair aggressively away from her face.

"Sorry, mom. A little privacy much?" I helped her get up. She stood up staring at me in the eyes. She dusted herself off.

"He must be one hell of a guy."

"Not really. Sorta!"

"Do you like him?"

"Not really." honestly, I'm not sure what I'm feeling for Damon at this point.

"He seems nice. When can I meet him?" A smile appears on her face.

This was new to me now. The last person she's seen me with was Matthew. Ever since we called it quits, she's been begging me up until my junior year to take him back. I never told her what really happened. I was too embarrassed about what happened at the time. Plus she doesn't need to know everything that's going on in my life right?

"I don't think he's ready for that yet. I just met him, mom." She sighs while putting her arms behind her back.

"Aw man, that's a bummer. Whenever he's ready to get to know us I'm here my dove." She brushes a thumb under my chin. She walked away heading to dust the opposite of the living room.

If she thinks that Damon is a cute 'campus guy' two years older than me almost in his last year of college, I wonder how long I can keep up with it.

I felt bad lying to her. I wanted to tell her but I simply couldn't allow myself to speak of such news. Everything was crashing in way too fast.