f o u r t y - t w o

Matthew hugs me passionately as the door of my parent's home opens. My dad was not paying attention to the guest next to me. After he pulls away from the hug his eyes quickly met with Matt. I can only imagine what's going through his mind.

"Come in." He welcomes Matt and I in.

"Mr. Abrianna, how do you do?" Said Matt, taking his hand out of his pockets to shake hands with my father. My father was looking at him oddly as if he was trying to remember him.

"Ah, yes. Very well, thank you," He looked at me with a smile. "You look oddly familiar." Matthew was going to introduce himself once again, but he was cut off by my overreacting mother yelling at the top of her lungs.

"My baby!" She grabs me and hugs the air out of my lungs. "Oh, I've missed my chica." She cups my face and kisses me multiple times on the cheek.

She looks to her right and points at Matt.

"Who's this?" She steps away from me and leads him to the dinner table.

"Matthew," I say awkwardly. I thought she'd notice him by now. He's basically a son to her. Mother's should notice their children. . .

It didn't take long for it to kick in. My mother was making awkward facial expressions trying to remember who he is. It suddenly clicked. She cradles him for a hug.

"Matthew, oh my God, my baby!" she cried hopelessly as if he was really her son and he had gone away from home only to come back ten years after his disapparearance.

He giggles happily returning the same excitement towards her. They were holding onto each other like mother and son. It's cute, honestly.

"Yes, mama. It's me." He said.

"You didn't tell me you guys were back together. Welcome back, Matt." My mother winked at me behind Matt's back as he walks into the dining room.

"Please, join us." My father leads the way. My mother pulls out a chair for Matt. She puts a dish in front of him and begins to stuff his plate with a Mexican Cuisine. She fills another, a smaller dish, with Italian bread.

"This looks delicious." Matt licks his lips devilishly. He picks up the fork and goes for it.

"It's nice to see you again, Matthew," says my father putting a napkin on his lap. " What are you doing now?" he smiles happily while grabbing a bowl of spinach.

"I'm a fashion designer. I own my brand. We're currently an online store but my manager and I are planning to open up a few stores here in the city."

"Ooo fashion designer." My mother carried on with wide eyes. I could tell that she was surprised by this. She knew he had a freaking obsession with football and that getting into the NFL was his main goal. Her shocked expression quickly erased. Her face was at ease. People do change what they want to be in life, so I'm pretty sure she understands.

"What kind of clothing do you make?"

"Urban streetwear, classic t-shirts and tanks. Something like H&M and Forever 21. I'm also putting together a few professional pieces for business. My team and I are consistent." He puts a spoonful of Spanish rice into his mouth."God, I haven't had a meal like this in awhile. Your cooking is purely magnificent." He rolls his eyes childishly.

There was a moment of silence while we enjoyed our meal. Of course, my mother brings up the past but one thing I do admire is the connection Matt has with my parents. He knows how to break the ice so well. He's smooth with it like the surface of polished wood. The bond is unbelievable. I could tell they like him a lot, yet alone enjoy his company. It's like a switch turned on. Almost watching a blueprint come to life. He brings out a childish side out of my parents. It's weird seeing them act foolishly. I love how young he makes them feel. That's something I like to see. I think I want to keep him around for a little bit.