For Your Protection

I lean against the cream colored doorframe with my arms crossed over my chest coolly while directing my attention towards him. It’s been a while since I’ve last seen him and I have to say that he’s changed fairly a lot. He’s recognizable but his face has matured as well as him being taller and broader.

“What the fuck are you doing at my house?”

I knew the day was going to come but I didn’t think it was going to be this soon, considering we just moved here a week ago. I don’t even feel like seeing his fucking face right now after all that’s happened in the past. We can’t and never will be friends again after what happened in the past because the tension is still there thriving. However, I’d rather face my problems then run away from them like a little bitch.

“Why the fuck are you back in this state after what you did?”

My body becomes rigid as the words leave his mouth and I’m coming to the conclusion that he isn’t here to talk but to fight. From, the corner of my eye, I catch glimpse of him clenching his fists and I glare at him while standing up from the doorframe. I look back in the house briefly before turning back to him in agitation.

“Look, I have a baby sister in the goddamn house that I’ve left unattended. So either you’re going to leave or wait in the back for me to come back out so we can settle this shit”

I shut and lock the door as he saunters down the stairs. Letting out an infuriating sigh, I walk back into the living room with Liv. Her head lifts up at the sound of my footsteps and she smiles while pointing to the TV excitedly. I look over in the direction and see Rapunzel dancing around in circles with people outside and then all of a sudden a horse shoves a guy into the crowd? I chuckle to myself and walk over her seated position on the couch.

“It’s time for bed Liv”

She pouts when I pick her up from the couch and her bottom lip starts to quiver.

“No, movie” she says and at that point she breaks down in seconds. The tears run down her face and I feel so bad seeing her cry but its twenty minutes to eight. I promised my mom that’d I’d have in bed before eight, so I have push aside the guilt I feel and take her to bed.

“Sssh, sshh don’t cry Liv. I’ll let you watch the rest of the movie tomorrow afterschool okay?” I say, trying to cease the crying as I set her down in her bed. Pulling the covers up midway, I smile at her and she glares at me. I sigh and bend down towards her bedside.

“Say what, I’ll pick up some icecream tomorrow after school, so you can eat it while watching the movie. Will that make you feel better?” I ask and she nods her head up and down without hesitation. She is too manipulative for her own good to be a baby and I always fall into her little games. The tears are my weakness and she uses it to her advantage.

I shake my head at her smiling face and place a kiss on her forehead softly before standing back up.

“Goodnight and sweet dreams Liv. I love you” I call from the door, looking over at her snuggled up in bed.

“I love you, Zayn” she murmurs and I smile before closing the door softly behind me.

Pulling my phone from my back pocket, I type out a quick reply to my mom as I proceeded towards the back door. I pass the kitchen and decide on getting him a drink but I decide against it. He already pissed me the fuck off so there isn’t any need to bother. I’m not in the mood for fighting right now, I just got home but if it comes down to it, then it is what is it.

“Is she asleep?”

“She should be in a few, thanks” I spoke while taking a seat across from him. Judging solely from his body language, he seems to have cooled down but it’s just temporarily for now. I already know how he acts. One minute he’s fine and the next he’s a fucking time bomb. He’s been like that since I’ve first met him and there is no way in hell that he’s changed after these few years that have passed.