Chapter 1: Sal's Introduction

• Dedicated to Proof, Marshall, and my dad

The Unexpected Encounter (An Eminem Fan Fiction)

***

I was driving to class that day.

I had trouble finding a place to park my car, but eventually, I found a spot close up. I arrived to class thirty minutes early and sat down at my desk, waiting around. I realized that I left something in the car so I decided to go back and get it.

Near the passageway I had to walk through, I noticed a group hanging around. It consisted of Eminem and Dr. Dre, among a few others. ...wait, what the? Em and Dre? I avoided them when I tried to get to the other side in order to reach the parking lot. I didn't want to make eye contact with Em in particular.

However, when passing by, Eminem had unfortunately stopped and asked me something. "Yo, what time is it?"

"20 'til," I responded, my head still slightly down.

I guess they attended the same class as me... that didn't make sense. I soon found myself hanging around the entire group. Next thing I know, I wasn't just hanging around but more goofing around with them. And as it turned out, it wasn't really Em—it was "Slim Shady."

I told Shady how I listened to his old albums every night. I felt like I wanted to impress him. I went on to ask him how Steve Berman was. "Go fuck yourself," was his answer. It cracked me up. A cute stray dog came out of nowhere and then Dre offered us rainbow fudge brownies. The hell?

Later on, Slim showed me old Youtube videos of him on his phone while he did voice-overs to them. Then he was calling himself "Em-emcee" constantly. He was being silly. We had a good time. I felt as if a friendship was forming, and there might have been a little bit of flirting around, too.

Another day came.

They were shooting a music video for D12 and I was invited. It was for "My Band" and "Purple Hills." I think they meant to do a little bit of each, which kind of didn't make sense either. Oh, well. I sat at some bleachers at first, watching. Em with his mustache soon came on and started singing gibberish. "My salsa, salsa, salsa, salsa."

Next scene comes in and they wanted me to be in it. I don't think we were actually going to use it; we were really only messing around. I was in the AMC Gremlin, the car used in "Purple Hills," with Eminem and a stranger. Em was sitting in the driver's seat while I was in the back with the stranger. I was holding a toy pistol that "clicked" every time you pulled the trigger. I had no idea why.

I went to shoot the guy next to me, who played dead, and then shot Eminem, who as well played dead. I decided to do it a few more times right at Eminem for fun. "Bang bang bang." He "died" more. He ended up being too cute for me so I leaned over and took him into my arms. "You're mine!" I was being mushy. 

Em shot up in his seat and just turned to me, eyes looking at me like "The fuck?" It was kind of cute. It made me smile.

The sound of my alarm was instantly what woke me up then. 

I sat up, rubbing my eyes. I stared at my cell phone screen. Today was Monday, March 3rd, 2014, 11:20 A.M. Reality finally hit me. I didn't want to go through another painfully long day in this "real life." I sighed, knowing that I obviously had no other option. I eventually made my way out of bed. 

My name is Sal. I'm nineteen years old, soon to be twenty in a few months. I live in Southern California in Orange County and currently attend a community college around my area. I plan to transfer to a four-year university either after this semester or the next, depending on how things go. Also, I work part time in retail.

I have a little sister. Her name is Elle. She's in the eighth grade. Along with her, I live with my mother and father, but they hardly ever get along. The relationship my sister and I share with our mom is a little rocky but we're able to tolerate each other for the most part. Our dad is the one we get along with best; not always, but families are never always perfect.

I'd forgotten to finish my homework for class I had that same day. I was currently taking evening classes so it wasn't all that bad; however, I had developed the worst sleeping habit. I often found myself going to sleep and waking up the next day way later than I should. I usually stayed up fooling around online or even listening to music by Eminem—my guilty pleasure.

I was a bit obsessed. Everything about him, from his music to how he is, spoke to me. I feel I could relate to him really well at some of my worst times. He basically was my idol. I'd gotten my sister into him, too. She didn't know nearly as many songs or know as much about him as I did but she admired him, nonetheless. So I often would go to her to "fangirl;" and she had her moments as well.

Maybe that was where those sets of dreams from earlier came from... it would only make sense.

I brushed my teeth, got myself dressed, then began on the homework that was due later for my class. Once finished, I drove over to pick my sister up, dropping her off at home after. I then made my way to school.

I sighed while I drove, wondering on if my life could ever take a turn for the better. I've been very lonely lately, having lost nearly all my friends after high school (like I really ever had any; I never fit in with any one group). I've always had terrible luck with guys (never having been in an actual relationship before, I hated admitting) but it wasn't like I was a terrible-looking person. Past friends have told me how attractive I am, even admitting how jealous they are of my beauty, often telling me to stop bringing myself down.

I'm Caucasian. I have light brown eyes and long, chestnut brown hair with a blonde ombré I dyed myself. I'm petite, being 5'4, and skinny with a pretty good figure. God knows why, I hardly ever exercised much; and I ate like a pig. I usually always have my hair in curls, waves, or have it up since I hated leaving it plain, and I never went out without any makeup on. I'm very self-conscious. I liked to dress up a lot too—it was my favorite thing to do.

So honestly, I wasn't horrifyingly unattractive or anything. Guys I've met must have been ignorant for not noticing me. But, whatever. The only thing in this whole world that gave me happiness for right now was my favorite rapper, or actually, artist in general. Eminem; Marshall Mathers; Slim Shady. My inspiration, idol, hope, everything.

Then, as if on cue, one of his songs began playing on the radio in the car as I arrived on school grounds. A huge smile came across my face as I wholeheartedly sang along to "The Monster," if even just for some brief time.

As my day instantly became better, I parked the car and made my way over to class, hoping that one day, something could change and take me out of this lonely and dreadful routine I suffer through. Something like the dream I had experienced earlier.

If only.