Chapter 3: Confirmation

Monday, March 17, 2014: Two weeks later

I'd just gotten back from school, feeling completely under pressure. 

Because it was the week before spring break meant that all my professors had to dump loads of work on me. I was in my room working on worksheets, writing papers, and finishing online activities, studying on top of that.

Usually I would do my work peacefully with one of Eminem's CD's playing in the background, whether it be to the SSLP, MMLPThe Eminem ShowEncore, and so on but I couldn't tonight. I had to be fully concentrated. I really didn't want to be disturbed; I was insanely stressed.

My dad walked into my room minutes later to check up on me. Of course when I was loaded with lots of work he'd come bother me the most and want to have conversations. But when I wasn't doing anything of any significance, he rarely would ever come in, which I wouldn't mind if he did then. "It's kind of a bad time right now, what?" I demanded annoyingly, rubbing an oncoming headache I felt in my head.

"Have you eaten yet?" he asked me.

"No," I huffed. "I'm busy working on stuff. I'll eat later." I was expecting him to walk out of the room by now but he was still standing there. He was starting to get on my nerves.

"Alright, just letting you know there's food on the table waiting for you."

"Okaygot it."

"Sal," he began softly, bringing up a separate topic. "I know we haven't talked about it in some time, but about my business trip..."

I finally stopped what I was doing and looked over at him. I completely forgot. It had always been on my mind, of course, just not so much recently since school got in the way. My eyes rested on him with curiosity, me twirling my pen around in my hands.

"...well, I talked with the professor. Although purely for business, he was extra courteous as I explained the situation involving you to him. He managed to get another plane ticket and was able to upgrade the hotel room, as well. If you're still interested in going, you may. I thought about it. You've been working hard these last couple weeks."

I nearly cried I was so happy when hearing those words, very much regretting the way I had acted towards him earlier. "Really? I can... go?"

"Sure, sweetheart," he smiled. "We're leaving Saturday afternoon. That's in five days. Make sure you're ready and packed."

"Okay, I will be."

"Your mother's going to watch over your sister the entire time, right?" he asked.

I nodded. "Mom said she was going to take the week off, regardless, so she'll be watching over her. I'll let Elle know just in case," I told him.

"Sounds good. Better have you get back to work," he said, giving me a wink as he finally exited my room.

I was much too excited now to continue what I was working on before. As soon as my dad left the hallway, I went out of my room and skipped joyfully into my sister's room. I crashed onto her bed. "Guess what?" I cried.

"I know, I heard," Elle said, sticking her tongue out at me. She was working on homework with the radio playing in the background. 

I was surprised at her lack of emotion. "Didn't you want to go?" I pushed.

"Yeah, but I'm still in middle school, you know. My break isn't for another month. I'd rather not miss school... I always have so much homework. It's not fair," she complained. "Anyway, why are you so excited? It's not like you're even going to run into Eminem," she stated.

I chuckled. "Who knows? Maybe I'll bump into one of his daughters. I would love to meet Hailie," I said to myself, referring to Eminem's one and only biological daughter. I continued on. "I'll send you an autographed postcard: 'Greetings from Detroit from Slim Shady,'" I giggled, imagining it. "Even if I don't run face-to-face with him, just being there would be the most incredible feeling. There's this connection you feel alone when you're in 'his' city... I don't how to explain it. But I feel sorry for you. Middle school was the worst," I sympathized.

Talking on and on to myself more then anything, annoying my sister, it got to a point where she had to shove me out of her room, all in fun, of course. I was happy, nevertheless. Finally, my dream was seemingly coming true.

I went to the kitchen after that, sat down and ate a little, then went back into my room. I popped The Re-Up in my CD player as I finally got back to the work I needed to finish doing. I thought positively, all the tension from before wearing off. I made a plan in my head that starting tomorrow, I would look up all the information needed to know about the city of Detroit.

I couldn't wait.